BillBelew.com
InspirationMarketing

Memorable Movie Lines and Marketing476

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What can memorable movie lines teach us about marketing?

Sitting in the airport in San Francisco I am reminded of, "Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore."

I have spent the last month doing intensive research on how search, social networks and storytelling works or might work in China.

Sure enough I came to the conclusion that what works in the US might not work in the PRC.

Shanghai is definitely NOT Kansas.

What lines and lessons come to mind for you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

I don't get it. We ARE in Kansas still!

There are classics, like the Wizard of Oz (the original film is stored in a salt mine nearly below my feet where I sit!), and Casablanca ("Of all the gin joints..." that may be universal enough to work in as foreign an environment as China, but you need to be careful. Some major bloopers were generated when translating brands, taglines, etc. in to not only foreign languages, but foreign countries.

As I understand it, when translated (carelessly) into Mandarin, "Pepsi, the taste of a new generation!" translated into something that read more like, "Pepsi, the taste of your dead ancestors!" Not a major selling point.

Another American company, making their first international foray into Australia couldn't understand why their extremely popular (in America) perfume called Evening Breezes wasn't selling well at all there. I've been told any Sheila can tell you about "night winds" not being very pleasant.

Oh, and the line ISN'T "Play it again, Sam!"
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Is there any movie that talks about this?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, Mr. Marketer, all your shiny objects are great but..

Post 4 • IP   flag post
How does "show me the money" relate to marketing?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
The old adage, "Be careful what you wish for!" was embodied in the line from A Christmas Story in the form of "You'll shoot your eye out!"

There are a number of good marketing concepts here as well, not the least of which is, "I double-dog dare you!" This one is actually worth a look if you haven't already seen it. And, even if you have, it may be worth another with different eyes.

This movie also has a personal connection. My daughter was one of the playground extras. She was there for the flag pole scene, which took two and a half days to film, and for several other playground scenes. Unfortunately most of her film ended up on the cutting room floor. If you are quick, you can catch about a second and a half of her when the bell rings, just beyond the girls skipping.

The movie was filmed on location in three municipalities, Cherry St. in Toronto, Canada, two locations in Cleveland, Ohio (inside and outside of Higbee's store, and the house which was in the Tremont section of the city), and the school, which was Victoria Elementary in St. Catharines, Ontario, where my daughter attended as a student at the time.

All students were offered the opportunity to be paid extras, for which she was paid $1. We lived one block away and could watch much of the activity from our back steps.

Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Always fun to be read your stuff her @Rev. Thanks for sharing. And please do keep it up.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny - it applies to both buyers & sellers.. Sellers can promise too much, and buyers can say they want your product all day long.. but in the end money talks!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Agree that money talks. What about during days without money? It is the day when bartering occurrs.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member AlyssaYoung private msg quote post Address this user
My family and I love to quote movies. We tend to quote the movie, Finding Nemo, more than others because of the line, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" -Dory.

This line applies to completing daily tasks and to simply getting through the day.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
"Grrrr!!!!!"

Jurassic World.

I say that sometimes when I am asked to something that is terribly unrealistic.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
28712 11 11
destitute