Here's how you get back in touch.

Have another kid.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I think grandchildren are a better idea ... lol
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

I half joke that my two sons, 33 and 29, wouldn't have grandkids so I showed them how to do it myself. That's why I have a 7 year old. She's the best things that has ever happened to me.

You should try it.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@Belew did the showing work, do you have grandchildren as well as your wonderful daughter...
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba I do agree with your viewpoints on the 3 things schools need to teach.
Post 30 • IP   flag post

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

Yup. Second son has a daughter now.
Post 31 • IP   flag post
@Belew Getting back on thread, just shows how his education was lacking and once he was given an example he understood... the end result expected was delivered ... lol
Post 32 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
To @Lloyd_Lofthouse 's point I believe teachers want to teach - but they're often hamstrung.. I couldn't believe when I heard that students were required buy all their school supplies.

Sure, I remember needing to bring my own notebooks and pencils. But I'm talking about everything from staples to construction paper to textbooks and chalk!

Never mind how it's all about focusing on standardized tests that have little relevance to what's going on in the real world.

Even when we first came to this country, my parents couldn't believe the lack of respect that teachers are given. In Asia teachers are considered on the same rank as doctors and lawyers - and we're not talking college professors even. This is the same respect given to a kindergarten teacher.

Low pay, little respect, almost no authority.. no wonder the best teachers quit.
Post 33 • IP   flag post
@jycmba said ... Even when we first came to this country, my parents couldn't believe the lack of respect that teachers are given. In Asia teachers are considered on the same rank as doctors and lawyers - and we're not talking college professors even. This is the same respect given to a kindergarten teacher.

This is we in Australia, the UK and the US need to be...
Post 34 • IP   flag post
Member AlyssaYoung private msg quote post Address this user
I can only speak of what I have observed recently, and that is the education system in urban areas. The kids I interact with through BLOC Ministries go to school, start fights, and then get suspended for a small series of days. This method of discipline obviously does not work.

I think there needs to be more intention in school suspension rather than just sending kids to a blank room or sending them home for a week.

The kids who act out need teachers who are patient. They are in need classes that teach solely on the subject of the importance of respect. An anger management class wouldn't hurt either.

Right now, schools in the area of Price Hill (Cincinnati, OH) need teachers and educators who have the patience to keep the kids in school rather than sending them home.
Post 35 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
Alyssa,

The private sector, for profit corporate charters that are replacing public schools are suspending and expelling students in ratios MUCH higher than the national average for the transparent, non-profit, democratic public schools.

The results: most of the for profit, opaque corporate Charters end up looking better than the public schools on paper, because they get rid of the at risk children who are the most challenging to teach and the public schools can't do this.

Post 36 • IP   flag post
No wonder the private schools look better. Rather suspending, why make the students stay back?
Post 37 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
tienny,

I think the reason is becasue if only motivated, easy-to-teach students remain in these schools, a much higher ratio graduate and go to college, and that becomes a selling point to lure parents away from the public schools.

For instance, Eva Moskowitz owns the Success Academy charter school chain in New York City that teaches about 6,000 children. As her chain of corporate Charters has expanded so has her pay. This year she is paying herself more than $500,000. For a comparison, the chancellor of the New York City public schools, that works with more than 1 million children, is paid about half as much as Eva pays herself out of the same pot of funds that is supposed to support the public schools.

And there have been posts written about how Moskowitz gets rid of the most difficult at risk students to teach, but her chain has a HUGE turnover among its totally non-union teacher workforce. I've read that about 50% of her teachers quit each year because the pay is low, the benefits horrible and the demands on their time intolerable.

Eva is supported by hedge fund billionaires who are profiting off the growth of cop orate Charter schools. When the new mayor of NYC attempted to limit the growth of Eva's corporate Charter Chain last year, those hedge fund billionaires spent $5 million in one week on PR propaganda to demonize the new mayor and turn the city against him. It worked. His approval rating plunged and he caved in to what Eva demanded.
Post 38 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse She pays herself high yet the teachers' pay are low to feed their families. This is not right.
Post 39 • IP   flag post
29624 39 14
destitute