BillBelew.com
AnalyticsContent Marketing

Stats people watch on Google Analytics525

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Curious as to what stats people measure and which they consider important. Would also be of help if you are into content marketing... and last question, what do you do with the information?

thanks

Steve
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
That is what I wonder too
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

That question is too big for my cell phone. I might need to get to my laptop.

I watch:

1. Organic traffic trends
2. Goal completion when set up
3. Time on site trend
4. Page views/session trends
5. Landing pages
6. Referrals

to start with.

Re: trends. I compare myself to myself.

How about you @Steve? What do you watch?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I do see a lot of people tracking stats for the sake of tracking stats. I think some feel that it is the "professional" thing to do, or perhaps it means, somehow, "work" is begin done.

@Steve's last question is the important one.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
You can't anything with information that you don't have.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
I use Google analytics however I only check on these once a month, if that… I do however have a weekly report sent to me that I check this tells me how my weekly performance is compared to the week priors so I know what is happening.

I am more interested in my social media shares and how many visitors’ social media is sending to my website… I’m extremely active on Twitter and LinkedIn and I seek justification for the time I spend here.

I monitor subscribers to my newsletter and unsubscribes to ensure my newsletter is growing, I purposely send my newsletter out three times per week, which upsets a few people however by monitoring growth I know that the balance is about right… especially as I am constantly touching my subscribers with my content.

I also monitor how many leads I generate per week and where this lead came from.

Putting it together I know which article types are the most popular, I also know which articles lead to me generating inquiries and interest in my services... this means that I can balance the articles I write to suit my imaginary sales funnel.

Oh, I’ve also learned from stats that I need more products to fulfill the needs of my audience and to maximize my returns…. Currently working on this now.

All of this from stats…
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve = @NumberDude!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Access to the corporate Google Analytics account from this attendee in Shanghai...the first thing I went for:

1. Where the traffic is coming from. Organic or not.
2. What are they doing to get more people to come? Social networking, emailing or more content on site.
3. Which is performing better - time on site and page views/session
4. Before and after - what was traffic like before they did something compared to after.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Must be pretty amazing to get a peak in there... do you believe they are worth the cost?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
I will share when I get my thoughts together.

they also have a premium account for their itranet. Lots to see there as well.

give me some time and I'll let you know what I know.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
In 6 months of online social network pushing....

They increased the number of sessions nearly 3 fold.

Despite this increase, the total time on site went down.

Think... 3 times as many people are coming to their site.

But overall, the total time spent by all those people is LESS than the original 1/3rd number of visitors.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
People count the wrong things. Certainly numbers, increasing across the board, tend to congeal into a better whole. But this presupposes the numbers are tracking things of actual value.

I very quickly got over tracking the number of people visiting my sites. That number, in itself, is perhaps a measure of my reach but the question then becomes, "Am I reaching into the right basket?"

It should be obvious that more important than the raw number of visitors is conversions. Some will argue that more visitors means more conversions. If you have two sales in your first hundred visitors then you only need 900 more visitors to have 20 sales.

That's not necessarily (seldom) true. Partly because your focus in getting those next 900 visitors often changes from the things that brought two conversion in the first hundred to things more suitable for generating raw numbers, not the conversions you actually want.

If you (only) get two conversions out of 100 visitors (a reasonable number for many offers, by the way) then you should first find out what it was that lead specifically to those conversions and, most important, what market group THOSE two represent.

Now, focus your marketing on that group and raise the number of conversions per 100 visitors. Rinse. Repeat.

You may find that you actually get less visitors, say 50, but get more conversions... 4? 6? 10? Then things begin to get really interesting.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev

You can't convert people who don't come.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
And people who come via search/organically are easier to convert ... that's why I keep an eye on those numbers.

People who come looking for you are better potential clients/leads than people you went looking for.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
"...than people you went looking for."

Exactly why in-bound marketing (REAL in-bound marketing) is a great way to generate business.

I can't remember when I last had to pitch and hard-close a deal. All of my recent business has come to me ready to plunk the money down. The conversation started with what they wanted to achieve, what I would be able to deliver, would I be willing to take them on and, lastly, how much.

There is seldom price resistance. Most people coming to me already have an idea of the price range I am likely to be in and are often pleasantly surprised at my rates. I don't know that I've lost a single job to honest competition in ten years and, frankly, only one dishonest one that I can think of.

The key to this, I think, is knowing where your market is, making yourself available to it, and being open, up front, and honest with them. And yet, a lot of the people I mentor seem to know this but haven't actually been able, or willing, to make the leap.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. Even I am trying to make the leap.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
29761 16 16
destitute