BillBelew.com
BrainstormingInspirationMotivation

How does fear propel you or hold you back?564

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
A recent discussion on a poker FB group I follow began with a gal who shared asking herself why she played a "fundamental hand so badly," (her words) and realized it was fear.

If you haven't played Texas holdem, it's a great game with lots of business lessons. Here's an old article I wrote. 10 Business Lessons from Poker

But that discussion inspired me to write about fear because as content marketers, creativity is just as essential as the air that we breathe.

And the biggest killer of creativity in my book?

Paralysis by fear.

It's fear that causes writer's block in the form of resistance.

It's fear that allows us to get sucked into arguments with trolls.

It's fear that causes doubt that we create matters.

What are you afraid of and how has it been keeping you from what you want?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

I love this topic and this question. And I might be in denial, but I don't think I am afraid of anything.

Maybe it's age. Maybe it's that I am naive. Or maybe I am clueless.

But... I do remember being afraid of rejection.

What if 'they' don't like me?

Marketers might/will be afraid of putting something out, their story, their spiel for fear of rejection.

I have learned that I know what will happen if I do NOT try... nothing.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

You might just be afraid to facing what you're afraid of! lol

But that's like the "I know that you know that I know.."

It's been an inspiring question that's led to a LinkedIn post as well -

How Poker Teaches Me to Face My Fears in Business
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Princess Bride! Great Flick. I wish it were on Netflix.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
Although I can be scared, startled, like most people, I don't think I experience fear the same way most people do.

Fear has never stopped me from doggedly staying on the path toward the goal I set for myself in 1968.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Lloyd_Lofthouse

Did it ever stop you from starting?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
Fear never stopped me from starting. Back in 1968, after hearing Ray Bradbury lecture at the college I was attending, I decided I wanted to be an author, and, although I have faced hundreds and possibly thousands of rejections and/or roadblocks, fear never stopped me from moving forward anyway to achieve my goal.

It did take me a few years to realize that I probably wasn't going to pay the bills on this path, so I worked in the corporate world for a few years and then moved to teaching in the public schools to earn enough to pay the bills, but I never stopped doing what I wanted to do to learn and improve the craft of writing and reach my goal with a book that some readers would enjoy. While workign, I continued toward my goal even if it meant getting up at 3 AM for a few hours to write before going to work.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member AlyssaYoung private msg quote post Address this user
I think that certain topics would evoke fear. The topics I write about the most make me more excited than fearful. I suppose as I continue to write and eventually explore different topics, my thoughts will change.

I am usually concerned with what people think about me, but not as severely as I once was.

I usually have more confidence than fear when posting an article or blog.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@AlyssaYoung

Think about what you said. "...with what people think about me."

If most (true) people are thinking about what people are thinking about them...it means they are not thinking about the other person (you).
Post 9 • IP   flag post
28192 9 9
destitute