BillBelew.com
Content MarketingMeetupsSocial Media

Online, Content and Social Marketing Meetup565

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Ran my very first online, content and social media marketing meetup group this morning and it was fun. I’ve run lots of events previously but never one like this… and its thanks to @Belew for talking me into it.

Facts and Figures…
Total Booked In Yesterday – 20 people
Total Booked In this morning – 19
Total People Attended – 10 including myself which was a little disappointing but it’s something I can build on. (seven girls and 3 guys – need to get a few more girls).

Today was the first meeting for this group, so I purposely wanted everyone to relax and get to know one another. I wanted to know who each person was, their skills level, online goals, etc… and as I got everyone to introduce themselves each person answered the question about what they want to get out of the group, which to me, meant that I had a list of topics to cover at future meetings.

Apart from one another web designer, copywriter … everyone else range from beginner to I know a little … with a couple of people just starting businesses and one person an avid blogger but not doing much to make revenue.

Everyone enjoyed this morning breakfast, I told them about me, my aims for the group … answered lots of their questions and well, we had fun … our next meeting is scheduled for two weeks’ time at their request … and I’ll be teaching them all I know about generating fast business online… as some of them need to get word out and leads coming in, quickly.

I’ll prepare a slideshow for this … and if I remember to take my video camera I might even record it … and share if you like …
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Great report. 50% show rate is par for the course for MUs.

Ask the attendees to rate the MU at the site if they can.

There is also an email function at MU where you can let the whole group know what they missee.

Welcome to the Meetup world!
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve - show 'em how to fish, and they'll not only come back but tell 2 friends who will tell their 2 friends.. and so on.. and so on!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@jycmba think we do it different in Australia, show em how to drink and we'll have a party ... point taken, thank you
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I have come to learn that I can tell people everything I know and they still can't/won't do it.

They want their hand held, they don't want to work that hard, they want accountability, they want ... they want... usually me.

Sometimes, and I can't believe I am writing this, they will go off and hire someone else.

What?! Don't you think I have feelings?!

....harrummph!!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew - the times that owners worked with me to sell their businesses is when they saw that I knew what I was talking about and no one else educated them.

I learned this lesson years ago when I bought my first house. It was a free "how to buy your first house" seminar that a young guy was holding.

Although I barely remember what he covered, I found I could listen to him for the 40 minutes or so and not get tired. So, naturally I gave him my contact info.

Years later, when I got into business brokering, the gal who owned the firm told me just to make cold calls.

Eventually, I got over the desire to bash the phone over my head, but I still felt the need to take long showers each day after work!

Part of me knew there was a better way, and I found it in the advice of an author that pointed out how you don't find doctors making sales calls.

Why? Because we trust their authority and knowledge.

So, I worked on materials that I could share such as "10 Dirty Secrets of Selling Your Business No One Will Tell You," etc.

Anytime I came across someone who needed this information, I'd share it. (At the time blogging was just getting started, and I had ZERO web experience, never mind social media..)

But even then it was still the one-on-one conversation that convinced them to sign up as a client. And at times sold them products that I didn't think of - like business valuations!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
People do business with people they trust.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew @Jycmba Before I thought wordpress and blogspot are just website. I move from blogspot to wordpress to put my portfolio. Afterwards, my followers grow. Then I realized it is considered as blogging. More ideas to work on but time is not enough. I have been struggling at home, take any freelance job and blogging. Last year, a government business advisor explains that blogging is part of a profession. Then I understand the reason I do not have enough time. Some clients want me to do this and that. Even I hope that they just go away.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@tienny - be careful what you wish for..

Sounds like you could use some outsourcing; identify things that can be done at an affordable rate & get back to doing the things that are your personal..

Zone of Genius!

Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

The search is actively on form my first full-time Virtual Assistant.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Belew can I apply...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Huh? What do you mean?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
There's only two sides to the equation (even though lots of variables in-between) - time vs. money

When there's a shortage of time & money, that's the hardest spot to be.

But if you have money, you can "buy" someone else's time - i.e. outsource.

If you have time, but less money.. well, then it's time to get cracking!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Ha ha ha true. I am trying to do more. I have enough to say yes to so called "clients". Now, I hope to complete my eBook >_< and clean upy blogs.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Entrepreneurs are lazy, but smart.. they work hard at doing less!

Don't know if you saw the other discussion, but the best entrepreneurs get others to do what they don't want to do - so they can get back & operate in their Zone of Genius.

That's where the magic happens..! Hmm.. just had a feeling of deja vu.. again!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I can't afford you.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I wouldn't turn down work - unless it's something totally out of the realm of my do-ability, I'd take a look at how I might make things work.

If it's not cost-effective for my time, I'll see if there's someone I know within budget & coordinate.

Meanwhile, I'm still on the hook to deliver, so there's no "sorry, but Joe said he'd get it done.."
Post 18 • IP   flag post
This is the part I am struggling too. I thought freelance is part time job. Last year then I realize it is akin to business. I realised I need to learn to say no to some people rather than feeling miserable.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
I attended a WordPress meetup a couple of weeks back, held at a web developers office ... and low and behold, today I get an inquiry from a contact I made there about improvements to their website... and also something to do with training courses ...

What it is, is irrelevant the point is that meetups work, with this being proof that after just one event, it is possible ...

Now I need to generate some from my own meetup....
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve Be careful what you wish for.

Your MU will grow.

I just landed in Shanghai. I think that puts us in the same time zone.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew yep same time zone ...
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Steve I picked up a client at the airport.

Meeting him tomorrow for 2 hours (paid) ... maybe more if he likes what he sees.

3 very full days ahead.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Belew you know your stuff... he can't but like what you have to say ...

Today was a really strange day here... had a client complaining about $100 a month... and saying she was going to get a friend to do her next website ... then I sold a $350 a month one (thats the current price for my lowest package) ... then I had an inquiry in from a none profit in the US for social media setup ... than this meetup inquiry... plus I wrote an article on scent marketing months back ... well a German company likes it and has volenteered to give me inside data... in other words they need help with promotion, even though they don't know it yet. Oh and a UK lead with 3 or so offices, is asking all sorts of nice questions...

One article written based on the conversation I had with this UK lead on buyer personas ... and well, I'm about to write another ...

Another quote given to an existing client... and various requests from clients... all answered...

Been a quiet day I guess... lol

Bet your day is even more packed tomorrow...
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Great day for you!

Tomorrow morning I have a lot of reading up on attendees and their work places, checking my slides to make sure everything works here.

At 12:30 I have to attend an event, listen to 4 speakers, then moderate a panel on digital and mobile marketing at the end.

The morning meeting with the client got moved till AFTER that. That'll happen in the evening from 6 on.

Then I am meeting with the guy who is putting on the Meetup event for me - Branding You: How to Create an Online Platform That Gets Found with Bill Belew

That event happens Thursday evening between my two full days of seminar.

I forgot that downtime in the sked means down time, not fill-me-up time.

Oh, well!
Post 25 • IP   flag post
29398 25 25
destitute