BillBelew.com
BloggingOrganic Traffic

How to increase your blog exposure?570

Member Mavika30 private msg quote post Address this user
Dear All,

I'm seeking your expertise on increasing one's blog exposure. My blog is pretty new - since January - and right now, my promotional efforts go as follows:
- Facebook personal page
- Facebook author page
- Linked In update
- Twitter (two or three messages), usually with an attempt to include a link to an expert in the post and then @reference them on twitter.
- Mail list (55 subscribers)

I would love some ideas on getting my stuff farther out. I write on creativity from Asia. You can check out my latest post at http://www.rashmijollydalai.com/#!Balance-is-a-velocity-not-a-state-of-being/c1hb1/552dec270cf213f72451c8f5

Do any of you use PR sites? What are your thoughts on giving away free ebooks / content to drive people to your mailing list?

Thank you!

Rashmi
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@rashmijdalai if I were you, before your website becomes popular I would move it from wix to wordpress... a self hosted account costs just a few dollars a month. Themes are easy to install just make sure you install a responsive one. Your current website is not mobile friendly and will never attract traffic via the search engines.

Once you have your website setup ... we can work out what your goals are and how to achieve them, but to do so you will need to know who your audience is.

And the money is always in the list, twitter followers, LinkedIn followers... etc.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Good advice. I was just talking to my daughter about that. She blogs on wordpress and gets more visitors than I do. She's seven. www.manikatravelsalot.com.

I did try once before but my host, Network Solutions, wouldn't allow me to transfer my URL to a wordpress site. So I think I have to ditch them and start over, right? Should I hire someone to do the migration or do it myself?

Thanks for the advice!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@rashmijdalai @Steve is right.

First get on a self-hosted site. You want to work on something that belongs to you.

Steve will not steer you wrong.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Bill, I noticed you use Pagely for your site. Is that a good option for a wordpress hosting provider? Or more than I need at this time?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Also and related, should I go self-hosted or managed hosting? I understand Pagely is managed hosting? Is that okay?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
It's a great option if you are serious about your websites.

If you just want a site as a platform it's too much.

Let me know if you choose them. I have an affiliate link. They are great. They keep things safe, tuned up and humming along.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Managed hosting is more expensive. It means they will keep your WP theme and plugins current. No safety concerns. You can focus on the front end.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I aspire to get serious soon :-) I also like your vote of confidence in them. One follow-on question, I am considering changing my URL to www.rashmijdalai.com from rashmijollydalai.com. I don't think this is a big deal because I don't really get any organic users, just people who click through to the link because I've provided it or people who search for my name directly. This would also get around my Network Solutions problem - the vendor from whom I bought my URL and hosts my WIX site. NS can't host a WordPress site properly. What do you think?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Thanks Bill! I like keeping current, especially now that I'm out of China! I'll go with Pagely! What did you mean by an affiliate link?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

if you use the link I send they will give me 10 cents or some such nominal fee for referring you.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Domain age affects SEO as its classed as being authentic as most spam websites are newly registered ... so why don't you use both domain names...

http://whois.domaintools.com/rashmijollydalai.com

A whois shows you own this, so pretty easy to transfer...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Send the link!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I get a referral fee.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
And the URL change? Big deal or do it now, as Steve advised, before I get too big? Rashmi J. Dalai is what I'm using for my bylines and email...
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

Please give me a bit of time. It's 548 here and I am typing this in bed. 8-) I will send it very soon.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Oh yes, of course! Sorry!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I personally like keywords in url's ... but that is me...

5:48 am ... I was up at 2 am this morning and writing ... went to play golf at 7 am ... back just before lunch, some work, a nap and more work ... writing yet another article now on AB split testing emails...

Typing in bed... at that time... lol
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

Keep your current URL if at all possible. Age is important. How long have you had it?

The pagely folk can help with the transfer.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
I've had the URL since 2007. Okay, will talk to Pagely. Thank you! Good morning!!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve You are tougher than me.

I need my beauty sleep. Take a good look at me and you can tell I NEVER get enough.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

I am going to be in your and @Steve time zone next Monday - Saturday.

We still need to get our daughters in touch with one another.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

Keep the UrL.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
That would be great! I can see a lot of you in your daughter's blogs :-) Manika has much to learn from her!

Back in Shanghai?

Where is @Steve?
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai everywhere ... online at least but Perth Australia...
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Steve Good to know! I'm in Bali and soon Singapore. Never been to Australia but would love to go soon.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai

Yes. Back in Shanghai for another 2-day seminar.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@rashmijdalai @Steve

I want to visit Perth too!
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Australia I went to the US and Australia in 2000 ... sat in the UK and then I came to Perth again and never left ... except when I got deported once, now that is a story ...
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Belew Perth wants you too
Post 30 • IP   flag post
28670 62 30
destitute