BillBelew.com
Content MarketingSEO

Do you ever upset people?573

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
If you haven't figured it out already I'm not shy in coming forward, generally if I have something to say I will say it, I also find it really hard to suffer fools. In other words I upset people on occasion ... even on this forum I have done so in the past.

One of my pet hates are these so called SEO experts, Social Media Experts, LinkedIn experts, etc... as most, not all, but most know just a little more than the average person and tend to direct people based on the latest trend and not necessarily on what works.

This automatically puts me and this group on a collision course every now and then... and I see it as a badge of honor, a sign that I am doing something right when I upset one of these people enough that they stop following me on LinkedIn... etc...

To me this means that my content that I am producing is having an impact and people are taking note.

Just wondering if others see such things in what they do?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

General Patton said, "If everyone in the room is thinking the same thing then somebody isn't thinking."

Seems to me that @Steve is always the guy in the room, "Thinking."

I am not a contrarian but I often find myself on the outside looking in at the 'group.'

Well, now I know I have some fine company on the outside with you.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Be forewarned - if you claim you've never upset anyone, I won't believe you.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

Sometimes you have to upset people to get them to look at themselves in a new way, or even for the first time. We can always have differing opinions. That's the making of good conversation and leads to new ideas and creativity.

The issue, I think, is when people try to have, and support, differing "facts".

SEO is one my own areas of success so I hope I haven't offended you. I find myself at odds with many of the so-called "professionals". I had an SEO "expert" tell me the other day that Matt Cutts has no idea what he is talking about. Really? And I recently lost a job to a young many who convinced a potential client I was cheating them because I wanted to handle their SEO needs over six months. He assured them he could do everything they needed in one visit to their website, and for half the price I was going to charge. Really?

There are different ways to do the same thing and there are differences in focus, evaluation, and application. In SEO we don't have an actual set of rules from the gate keeper so there is always going to be a little "winging it", but there are some pretty well established understandings about how it works and what needs be done. The biggest problem? There is also a lot of myth and general BS floating in the pond, too.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Lloyd_Lofthouse private msg quote post Address this user
I upset people all the time and sometimes they call me names and allege that I'm this or that.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
No one upsets me, I had a mentor many years ago now who taught me that no matter what people say, they cannot upset you unless you let them, I choose not to give anyone that power.

But I do like to push boundaries and sometimes I will set out to push people to see how far I can push and then bring them back in... especially when I am bored.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve a real rabble rouser you are.

WARNING name dropping here.

I went into a book store I haven't been in in 5+ years the other day. I had a meeting and had to kill some time till it started. On my way out I saw at the check out counter buying a magazine. .. Matt Cutts.... http://mattcutts.com

I struck up a conversation and we stood there talking for about 15 minutes.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I do upset people due to my straightforwardness. Recently, my ex-colleague is annoyed by me. That is what my ex-colleague tell me. Because I hope my ex-colleague can stand up again. 😅 I never expect to be so blunt.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew hmmmmm . . . nice story - the closest to upset in that one was boredom, and then you met and spoke to Matt Cutts.

There's probably a parable in there.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras I am never bored.

I can do 80% of my work on my cell.

I have Kindle on my cell.

he was a genuinely nice guy.

Without going into details I could confirm some things I have maintained abt search as well.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@Belew Where is your cell?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Why do you need that? You may ask by inmail.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I am just wondering the location of your cell and want to understand how do you motivate yourself.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I carry my cell my entire waking time ... usually.

There is nothing on my cell to motivate me.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Re: Upsetting people.

There are several ways to upset people.

They could be stuck in a rut and you get them out. I had to do this today.

They may think they are right and you are wrong and you straighten them out.

You may be right and they are wrong and you have to straighten them out.

Or, you may just be itching for a fight.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
The problem is whether the person wants to be helped. Isn't it? Even I am trying to stand up and drag myself up again.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
And then there's upsetting ones self. The possibilities seem infinite.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Yes. The possibilities is infinite.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
29377 18 18
destitute