BillBelew.com
MobileSEO

The Sky is Falling.. Another Y2K Story?574

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Years ago I was tasked with the mission to make sure the admirals could talk to the President and vice versa on January 1, 2000.

You see, no one knew exactly what was going to happen once the clock turned at midnight on New Year's Eve at the end of the millenium.

Along with the usual doomsday prophecies was this little Y2K bug -

(In case you're not familiar with this oversight, basically programmers used abbreviated dates in different codes for a number of reasons.

So, 1900 couldn't be distinguished from 2000.. sometimes. And therein lay the real problem - not knowing.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem

We spent nearly $40 MILLION dollars to make sure the clocks turned over as expected. I was even decorated with a Navy Commendation Medal.

(couldn't find a good photo online so here's the actual medal!)

Now, fast forward to today - on Apr 21 Google is mandating that your website needs to be mobile ready. It's been dubbed Mobilegeddon -

4 steps to prepare your website for ‘Mobilegeddon’

(Don't ya love the hazmat suits to really dramatize this!)

So, are you and your website "mobile-ready"? or do you believe it's just another media hype?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Ha ha ha. Thanks for this.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

Fun! Thanks for sharing.

I hear them laughing at Google HQ.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba But all my sites are mobile friendly. Just in case. 8-)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
As the vast majority of websites never appear on the first page of Google, I can't see it making any difference to most people, no matter how hard some web designers try to stir things up to get new business.

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Steve Why do you put the example of a dead body? I do not understand.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny Dark humor. A dry humor interpretation of that recommendation: Those who commit such crimes try their best to not get caught. In his kindness, @Steve has offered such advice - and it's free!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I see. I do not underwater such humour until being explained.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Before Y2K was the decade bug when we tried an even better shortcut by using only one digit of the year. 1980, 1990 and 2000 looked the same. We had the problem solved in 1980. y2k came along and nothing happened. However we did tell everyone the sky was falling. Does that mean I was ready for small screens then too?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29377 9 9
destitute