BillBelew.com
Introduction

Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread6

morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings @Bart_Chapman

Looked at your site. When displayed full screen the formatting gets messed up.
Post 476 • IP   flag post
Bart_Chapman private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks so much for your insight - the site is up for v.2 review this weekend - I am now forearmed!

You mentioned "white space on the right" - is the content aligning to the left? Is the city-scape image up top taking up too real estate? As I look a the green content area with fresh eyes, I can see it is too verbose, and fairly non specific. I wanted to let it be reacted too. Also, since workshop content is still being developed, I had to fill the area with general blurbs. Eventually, there will actually be workshop tickets up for sale, and that will fill space.

There are 2 of us - we are split between LA and the SF Bay area.
Post 477 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Bart_Chapman

Everything aligns left. And words are being chopped off.

You will be quite lucky to get visitors to hit the scroll down button once. Twice? Dream on.

Images are great eye-candy and definitely have a place. But people want to read = get what they came for.

In the end ... this front page is NOT likely to be the most active page in any event unless you have some program to push people there.

If you are ever in the Bay Area of SF (San Jose is better ... Sunnyvale is where I live) ... drop by for a Meetup.

@jycmba has been doing hangouts with lots of good beginner AND advanced stuff. There are threads here to get you started.

Once again... glad to have you here.
Post 478 • IP   flag post
Bart_Chapman private msg quote post Address this user
I see it - in IE only. Time to reach out to an actual web dev, grrrr. I am in in Bay area - maybe see you at a meet up.
Post 479 • IP   flag post
@Bart_Chapman talk to @Steve here in the forum.

He does really good stuff, despite speaking a foreign language (Australian!).

No doubt there are others here in the forum who could do it as well.
Post 480 • IP   flag post

morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Bart_Chapman

Most important stuff is "above the fold" in a newspaper.

Just curious, what are you using for a template? I don't see Wordpress tracks.

Don't you love it getting darts thrown at you right away?
Post 481 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Bart_Chapman - welcome!

Y, looks like some issues with the layout -

Nothing major.. just need tweaking.

Coincidentally, I developed this Udemy course because of my own experiences helping (or trying to help) business owners that struggled with exit strategies..

https://www.udemy.com/build-a-business-that-you-can-sell/

This is a great forum. You'll get a lot of actionable advice on how to grow your site.
Post 482 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the group @Bart_Chapman!
Post 483 • IP   flag post
cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
@brandnub Thank you. I haven't been on many hangouts. I look forward to doing that as well.
Post 484 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@brandnub Wish you a warm welcome
Post 485 • IP   flag post
@Bart_Chapman welcome to this group
Post 486 • IP   flag post
creativefy private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys,
Hope to get to meet some of you and learn from some strategies share in this site.

Check us out
http://creativefy.com/
Post 487 • IP   flag post
@creativefy

Welcome Creatify!

There is a lot to know, learn, share.

Feel free to ask questions ... get answers ... and pitch in with your own experiences.

How long have you been online?
Post 488 • IP   flag post
@creatify Welcome to this group.
Post 489 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the group, @creatify
Post 490 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I've been on this forum for a while but never properly introduced myself. I'm still trying to figure out how to do things here, for example, upload my picture.

I also have questions for people but not sure exactly how to do that here either. My middle name is Confused.

I've been a writer for decades. I've written business articles, web copy, articles, broadcast writing (for the radio), poems, and short stories. (Currently working on a novel.) I've also ghost written a book, and am the coauthor of "Hypoglycemia for Dummies" and "The Encyclopedia of Hepatitis and Other Liver Diseases" -- please check them out if you have hypoglycemia or liver disease!

I've also been a translator for decades, translating mostly from Japanese to English, though I can, and have, translated from Chinese to English. My clients include Newsweek Japan, NHK, and TBS, among others.

I'm now shifting to fiction writing and would like to establish myself as a fiction writer. One question I have is: What sort of a blog do I start? I've already bought a domain in my name, but have not put up a website yet.

I also have a request for anyone here who is willing to download for free a bicultural (Chinese-Japanese) coming-of-age story:

https://freeditorial.com/en/books/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&commit=s&search=cherryl+chow#

It's quick, simple, takes just a minute. Nothing required on your part -- no name, no email address. Click on the format you want: pdf, kindle, or e-book reader. Then read the story at your leisure, or not at all.

The story is a contest submission and my first official foray into fiction writing. The judges decide on the winner based on the number of downloads and literary merit. Since I haven’t been cultivating a social media presence, I’m just asking as many people as I can. Any downloads and sharing much appreciated.
Thank you so very much!
Post 491 • IP   flag post
@mcc

Very glad to have you here.

I lived in Japan for almost 20 years. As soon as I hit reply I am going to download your book.

To start a question ... click on the compose thread.

In the title - Write something like.

Blog advice for a new fiction novelist.

Then pose the question - Where should I start with my blog? Or some such version.

I as well as others are likely to respond.

Very glad to have you here.

Don't be shy ... try. We're nice...most of us anyway.
Post 492 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
We're definitely nice - most of the time.
Post 493 • IP   flag post
Tashagabrielle private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, my name is Tasha Mizrahi and I have called the area around Montreal, Canada my home for my entire life. I am currently working on a children's book which I am very excited about because it works hand in hand with my passion. What I hope to get out of this website is information regarding how to market yourself and hopefully establish some connections along the way... I am pretty new at this sort of ordeal. I would like to take the time to thank @BillBelew for introducing me to this website when he messaged me on Twitter using my username @tashagabrielle
Post 494 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome ... @Tashagabrielle everyone seems to have a book but me .... I am going to have to do something about that ...

@Belew using twitter ... a new convert perhaps ... lol (old joke)
Post 495 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

Welcome. Glad you are here.

please jump right in.

Is there someplace online where we can learn more abt your book?

watch out for @Steve...he'll change your life. 8-l
Post 496 • IP   flag post
@Steve sadly it's still in the works but that's always better than nothing. It's definitely a tough process but oh so rewarding at the same time, as is all the best things in life

@Belew thanks for the welcome, I'm glad that I'm here and will try my best to do just that. I'm trying to set up a wordpress in order to blog about the process and the like but I'm still trying to figure out the ropes. I'll keep my eye out for @Steve but as long as he changes it in a good way there's no harm, no foul!
Post 497 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

Buy a domain at any reputable seller, ($9.99/year) get the cheapest self-hosting package they offer ($6-7/month) ... and install WordPress via your host provider (this part is free) and you will be on your way.

Lots more will happen after that.
Post 498 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into that! This is what I have thus far... It's not much but a work in progress is always better than nothing at all tashagabrielle.wordpress.com
Post 499 • IP   flag post
25072 499 24
destitute