BillBelew.com
Social Media

Klout - important to measure Social Media?614

Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Klout is a measurement of someones social media influence, do you consider it important? Do your audience consider it important?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

I have never used Klout.

Even in my daily life I seldom (okay, never) wonder what people think of me. I am funny that way. And maybe I should revisit this mentality.

Do you use Klout? What numbers do you look at? Why?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew you might not use it, however you will still have a Klout rating...

I don't rate it, however it isn't my perception that I care about ... the older I have got the more I have realized that it is other peoples perception of you that determines how high you fly.

We write content to change peoples perception.
Do people who know no better use Klout as a measurement to differentiate between so called experts.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
"Klout" sounds (to me anyway) like such an aggressive word. Based on the concept of "clout" this trademarked business brand is, I suspect, cashing in on the insecurity of the online marketer.

Remember, though, "You are not who you think you are. You are not who I think you are. You are who you think I think you are!" And we all need to get passed that. Except for @Belew, who has never had that issue.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev @Steve

The single most important number I care about is organic visits to my site/s.

If I can get people to come look for what I write, then I have something to work with.

For me, everything else is everything else.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew that is were we differ ...

I just want my target audience to visit and I don't care if I have to go OUT and get them using social media, newsletters, etc ...

At the moment my website attracts 6K visitors from Twitter alone ... these people see my articles and want to read them...

As to Klout, you might not think it important but as @Rev said, it is whoever signs the paychecks perception that counts... and anything that influences that in your favor is good / bad?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

We are different? No (snicker).

I am completely intrigued by your strategy and hats off to your excellent implementation of it.

That's why we'll make a good team in Lagos.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
"Anyone who thinks there is only one way to do a thing has never skinned the second cat!" - Rev. Stephen B. Henry PhD.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
This is why I like this forum and all of the people that regularly use it ... lots of people with lots of knowledge, and lots of people with questions that make you think and challenge yourself.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Anything who thinks there is only one way to skin a cat should ask the cat who's on it's 9th life.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Lately I've been big on this dance between the Elephant (our emotional side) and the Rider (our mental / rational).

https://www.haikudeck.com/p/TqfHK0Jf6T/your-heros-journey

Let's face it - our monkey brains love tangible, immediate gratification.

Sometimes seeing a number like Klout go up helps to both make 'em happy and put the Elephant more at ease

This is especially when we're not seeing results on other fronts - as often is the case with content marketing.

Does it matter in "real life"?

Probably as much as the 1000 "Likes" discussion.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

My son set me a book on the elephant and rider. I forget the name. But I slogged through it.

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

I want to concentrate on good content that pulls in the reader.

Push efforts don't interest me.

Popularity is not a good measurement for me.

Satisfying the inquiry is important to me.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Look at popularity this way...

Pop stars make a fortune by becoming popular, not because they sing any better than the thousands that never make it, simply by marketing themselves and by becoming popular with their audience.

Klout is a simple number that anyone with a twitter account has... so even if you aren't looking at your Klout score... who out of your audience is?

Great content that attracts people is great, but is it better to attract a unknowing audience or one who comes and checks Klout scores? Would you engage both audiences the same? would you engage one better? is one more predispositioned to to engage more than the other?

It's 4am and now I am going to bed
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Steve 4am!?

It's time to get up, not down.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
One of the biggest truisms that I've learned is that businesses often measure and care about the wrong things

- what good is making Q3 numbers and your stock at an all-time high when your competitor just launched iPhone and making your products obsolete?

More often than not it's the intangibles that @Belew talks about that make the real difference.

That said, as @Steve points out, perception IS reality. And also too often your clients or more importantly a stranger who doesn't yet "know, like or trust" you is making a 3 second decision whether to click "Follow" or join -

For someone established with lots of reach and published everywhere, it doesn't really matter.

But for the little guy / gal just getting their toehold in the sea of internet noise, you may have blown that one chance to connect with them - if / until your next "touch."

..and for startups the key operative word is "if" you make it long enough to get that second chance.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

No doubt, I'd do better if I went for more touches.

A little guy like me has to put his priorities somewhere.

Now, if I had a team of people, I'd definitely go for more touches ... or maybe just work harder at doing better content.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Steve

"that make you think and challenge yourself" -- Absolutely!

I'm also with you on the 4 a.m. is time for bed thing. Only your 4 a.m. is about 12 hours different than mine and it's already tomorrow! Anyway, I go to bed about 4 a.m. and sleep until noon.

Generally I don't do mornings. Something about the early worm being taken by the bird!
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Rev mornings... love them, was up at 7:30am ... I don't do lots of sleep, it gives me a headache always has... once I have had enough sleep, I wake and get up ...
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Steve That was a short night for you, dude.

I need my beauty sleep. Take a good look and you will see why I ought to sleep a whole lot more.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
First time to hear klout.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
25136 20 20
destitute