BillBelew.com
BloggingBusiness Advice

HubSpot blogging and outbound marketing665

rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thinking about selling the details of my business soul to get this free download. While I'm thinking about it - has anyone heard of this?

"100,000 Readers for Your Blog"
Jessica Webb, BubSpot
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

No. But i am off to take a look.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

Yeah, BubSpot (sic) is a relatively good resource. (HubSpot is too!) but once they get your email they are relentless in the pursuit of your business. They preach inbound marketing but they are about as outbound as it gets. Generally good stuff though. And very generous with lots of free stuff.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Oh, and don't give them your phone number unless you like getting lots of calls: 123-456-7890 just happens to be the right number of digits without being anyone else's phone number either.

The Rev
Dirctor ATIAAFTA <-- when they want my exact job title.

(All Things Important And A Few That Aren't)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
What @Rev says.

Hubspot provides great research but they don't practice what they preach.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
The first step to get 100,000 readers to your blog is to be sure you have 100,000 people interested in your topic.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
andrearobinson private msg quote post Address this user
Very wise words, Bill.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten great free stuff from HubSpot. I think it's worth taking a look. What I've done is to create a separate account on gmail so when I sign up with things (e.g. HubSpot), I just provide that email account. That way I'm not inundated with emails. And if I ever want to see anything from them, I can always log into that email account to see -- though normally, I forget all about doing that. I give my primary email account for ones I definitely want to follow up with. Like this forum, for instance. As for phone numbers, I give out my home phone but only because we have the ringer off and never, ever answer the phone. But having that bogus number might be a good way to go. Maybe I'll try that next.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for the feedback about "BubSpot", and how to minimize the "outbound attacks". (Sorry about the typo, I try to love and forgive them.)
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@mcc

Hubspot does great research and provides great free tools even which could sell.

But they don't practice what they preach ... IMHO.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew but isn't doing inbound and outbound the best of both worlds ...?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Or does one cancel the other?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Rev or do they hit two different market segments?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
An interesting A-B test would be see the difference between Inbound only vs. Inbound/Outbound. My guess the results would be affected by consuming readiness.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Not necessarily.

How about we apply the 20/80 rule here.

20% outbound and 80% inbound.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
My aversion to push/outbound marketing is that it is not sustainable. Necessary maybe ... But when I stop pushing, the effect dies off immediately.

Time is best spent on pull ... something that can ALWAYS attract.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
This is what I do ...

Blog - daily (at least) - 828 posts
Email Newsletter - 3 times per week
Autoresponder series - I run one two, or three times yrs.
Twitter ... lots of this magic stuff.
LinkedIn ... long form daily
Facebook ... hardly anything
In person networking events ... 1 to 3 times per week
My own Meetups ... once a week.
Forums ... daily.

Oh and someone I met offered me a free advert in his yearly directory ... 1/4 of a page ... no catches... so this is outbound ...

I suspect that companies use Outbound to reach audiences they cannot reach with inbound... it might not be as cost effective but it can still add to the profits of a company...
Post 17 • IP   flag post
For me, and that's the key element in this, and as a marketer, I am more comfortable with inbound marketing. I like the fact that there is no need for high-pressure selling or closing. I like spending my time helping instead of promoting. I don't know anyone who doesn't like being on the receiving (customer/client) side of inbound marketing, whereas I know of many who hate being targeted by outbound marketers.

I guess it is easier for me now that I am past the reputation-building phase and the process has actually kicked in. It will be tougher for someone new to the process especially if they have to deal with doubt and the risk of lower (or no) sales until they reach a suitable saturation point.

At this point, however, I really cannot see any reason to use a mix of inbound and outbound marketing. There is no one I can't reach with inbound methods and I am able to do and gain so much more from it.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Steve

With a deep archive of 800+ posts, you can revert to long-form publishing. It's the right thing to do.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
What @Rev says.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve shared ...

So,

Blog - almost daily (at least) - 1300+ posts 590 posts pending publishing
Email Newsletter - once a month
Autoresponder series - never
Twitter ... my following is 1/10th the size of @Steve and not growing... so I get 1/10th of his results and less and less by the day
LinkedIn ... long form daily
Facebook ... nothing
In person networking events ... never
My own Meetups ... 2-3 a month.
Forum ... always.
Speak when invited ... monthly-ish

@Rev ... next?
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Define/describe your product/service.
Post 22 • IP   flag post