BillBelew.com
Content CreationInspirationMotivationWriters Block

What is Your Best Cure for Writer's Block?697

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Working on a blog post on this challenge that even the best writers struggle with -

Do you have a favorite way of dealing with writer's block?

If I include your strategy, you'll definitely get credited when I tweet my blog post to over 4500 fans on Twitter and post to 796 Facebook connections.

Post 1 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Two that really work for me:

Talk your ideas aloud. Grab your smartphone and tennis shoes, go for a walk and record your ideas.

Not good? No problem. Call a friend, talk about what you plan to write about. Invite feedback. You'll get a lot of clarity quickly.

Bonus points if you record yourself while talking to your friend. Major bonus points if you get the recording transcribed.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
But your blog topic in a news alert.

get notified abt it from the news alert.

write abt that.

Read the headline news and whatever is going on ... make the connection to that piece of news and your subject.

everything has to do with everything.

Sometimes it's a stretch but it can most always be done.

and it can be fun, too.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Search www.onthisday.com or some similar site and go retro with your topic.

Go back 5, 10, 20 or 200 years and make the connection.

This is fun, too.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
There is an old writers trick, get a pen and a pad of paper... and put the pen down and write everything that comes into your head... just write and write, it doesn't have to make sense... the task is to write what you think ... if you do this for five minutes, not stopping you will generally have the basis of half a dozen articles down... as the trick is simply to get what is in your head out, and then you go back and work it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Here's a sneak peek at my blog post -

3 Easy Steps to Avoid Writer’s Block

Guess I boxed myself with "3 Easy Steps" but I wanted to show how it's not as big a deal as we make it out to be..
Post 6 • IP   flag post
I never have trouble with writer's bloc.

but I do have trouble with writer's laziness.

How do you deal with that?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
For my case, I let others to cross over my boundaries. Thus lost the time to do so.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
I deal with it by rewarding myself for my wins ...
Can't play golf if i don't do what needs doing...

Take yesterday, I took that Google Hangout added some stuff I have around here and now that's live on my website ...

And I don't have to much writing ... spelling and grammar now that is different ... but fortunate for me, people like what I write and always have.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
There's no such thing as writer's block. If you don't know what to write it's because you aren't working from a plan or perhaps you aren't knowledgeable in the topic you are writing about. Write from an outline. If you don't have an outline, create one. You create the outline from the research you did (or should have done).

Drill your outline down to the sentence. Read a bullet. Write a sentence. Top items in your outline are your sections. Next level are your paragraphs. Then your bullets.
When you write, tell them what you are going to tell them.
Tell them.
Then tell them what you told them.

Article done.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

I think I disagree. People who write a lot can run out of ideas.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@tienny you need to educate those crossing the boundaries and keep to your own schedule ... My wife understands that I write everyday and as a result, I am left to write whenever I feel the urge ... so set some boundaries and keep to them
Post 12 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Hire a writer, and you may never have that problem again.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Steve In fact, I realize I need a conducive environment rather than having my family members at home. I feel tired of life. 😢 no wonder my work suffers.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@tienny - as @Steve said, it's about setting boundaries.. people treat you the way you teach them is okay.

I know that's especially hard to do with family and loved ones.
If it's just not workable to get that space at home, try cafes like Starbucks.

You can buy one of their $1 re-usable cup, buy a cup of tea & keep asking them to refill it w/ hot water for hours.. or so I hear!

I mention the technique of feeling good physically / mentally in my article. Believe me, it's much bigger than it seems.

When you create the space and freedom for yourself to feel positive, the negative energy starts to dissipate.

While people say that "opposites attract," I'd argue that positive repels negative.

And if you focus on the good stuff, you will attract more. Regardless of whether you subscribe to the Law of Attraction stuff or not, this works. That's all I care about.

Yes, it's easier said than done. And it's even harder at times to practice. But the thing I was trying to get at with my article is that moving the bar just 1% daily adds up.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
SPAM. Check your spam folder. I get some of my best material from spam email. It's full of good ideas, and idea joggers. Just ignore the rest.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Rev - that's an interesting concept!

What are some ways that you've used spam?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Sheevaun private msg quote post Address this user
I am overly creative and could write for hours every day. My ideas come from being insanely curious and being a life student. For me, it's writing about why people aren't getting the results they want and how I can create or use a tool to get the results more quickly.

The places I'm inspired by people include: FB, Flipboard, NPR, clients, our private FB groups talking about their dramas, books on my ipad that I'm in the middle of reading.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
How have you used Flipboard @Sheevaun ?

I'm sure there's some room or reason to it, but it just seemed pretty random - even though I know it's meant to help pick out content that you're interested in.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@Rev What Rev said ... SPAM.

SPAM - Just like most professions you have the good, the bad and the ugly... from good SPAM you can learn how to structure emails to sell, how to engage, how to sell ... it's actually amazing what you can pick up ... they also indicate current trends.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Steve

The reason people SPAM is because it still works. Ugh....
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Inspired by this thread and @jycmba post I had to write my own ...

https://website-designs.com/online-marketing/content-marketing/the-basics-of-good-content-structure/

It's amazing how ideas just seem to present themselves to you know what to look for. At my meetup today, I was asked why I ran the meetups and taught others to do what I do and I said because it helps with my own research, gives me ideas and keeps me at the top of my game ...
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@Sheevaun Even I am too curious until I dismantle computers and glad to repair it.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Steve I downloaded the free booklet - I'm now on your mailing list!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Couldn't leave well enough alone - wrote another LinkedIn article..

Say Goodbye to Writer's Block Forever

I blame @Steve !
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@jycmba brilliant
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@Steve - this one topic alone is inspiring me to write about how to find inspiration in different places.

..like these other blog posts I've already written, of course..

Creativity Lessons in the Kitchen/

What Tango Taught Me About Creativity

..How Even Fear Has Taught Me to Be More Creative

(This last one I can definitely spin a few times at least on just the fear - creativity thing alone!)
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Adding the questions you answer to your own blog ... is there an easier way to come up with ideas you can use? (I'm pretty sure I just asked a rhetorical question. )
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Let me share one of my best tips ... go to Google news and type in whatever your niche is ... ie content marketing you can see what the breaking news is ... and this can give you ideas and you can often ride the wave of popular stories.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@rcayeras - not sure I understand the question.

What is the challenge that you have?

Finding ideas to write about your niche?

Finding interesting ways to write about these?

Just want to make sure that I understand what you're really driving at so I can better respond.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26000 54 30
destitute