BillBelew.com
Productivity

How Online Workers Do Time Management or not702

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I'm time poor at the moment, in that I have lots to do and not enough time to do it in. I rehired someone a few weeks ago only to let them go this week as they let me down. In that something that should have taken a day to do, took over a week and still wasn't complete... so I sacked and got someone else to complete the task.

Getting back on point.

Do you have any tips for better time management and doing the work that needs to be done... and how do you know which work needs to be done, first.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Give this gentleman a look-see:

Do It Tomorrow

===
Everybody is a fan of the GTD approach, but I like Mark Forster's method.

Also, use a free tool like Trello.com, or a Google doc, or Asana, or one of the other project management systems, and dump everything out of your head.

A reason why you're struggling to prioritize is because you're struggling to remember everything. Do a big task dump and you're suddenly free to create order.

-DonO

ps. If you're really struggling, hire a temporary assistant from Craigslist, have him/her come over, and then tell them everything you are struggling with. Be sure they can type fast enough to keep up with you. At the end you'll have a nicely transcribed list of activities.

If you're a Mac owner, you can enable dictation, just press Fn-Fn, and talk.

Or try on the X-effect: www.reddit.com/r/thexeffect

OH! And get off this site, and close all those damn tabs in your browser. Turn it all Off. Elevate your socializing as a privilege and a reward that you earn b/c you Got Sheet Done.

Are you still here? http://fortyninedays.com
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

Hire a Virtual Assistant.

My experience is young with my VA. But thusfar (people still use that word?) She is golden.

I sent out a thread with tangible proof of her effectiveness earlier this month. I will update it at the end of the month.

Not only is she golden, she is very reasonable, very reliable.

Among other things, I just sent off my rewrite of a series of posts I had written. She downloaded them from my website and put them all in one .doc for me. I did the rewrite and sent it to her. By the end of the week it will be my next eBook.

She has edited and rewritten 40 some posts of my students ... for poor grammar.

She has put up 20 posts on LI that have several thousand eyeballs and thumbs that have increased my following. and and and...

What to do first ... do what only you can do and nobody else. If somebody else can do it for you ... give it to them ... even you must pay.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Time poor means trying to do too much = loss of focus.

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

What's your main thing?

Make a quick list of everything that is going on.

Then one by one, ask yourself if I absolutely had to abandon one of these which would it be.

Line it out.

Keep going till you got your priorities established.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like @Belew has seen the light - hallelujah!

@Steve - the world needs each of us to focus on being in our Zone of Genius and delegate the rest.

Here's another one they showed at Internet Prophets Live -

Post 5 • IP   flag post
You are spot on lost of focus... my focus used to be on selling rental websites with some basic marketing ... this gives me lots of residual income ... which means I don't have to be selling constantly ...

Now I am focusing more and more on content marketing and I see my future here ... as the potential is much, much greater especially now that peoples perception of my influence is rising ....

It's this lizard brain clinging on though and wanting to do everything ...
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Dude... you have worked quite hard to become the leader/influencer you are.

Time to wield that influence.

You'll have great stories to tell in Lagos!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Even I realize my main focus.

@Steve You are not alone in this.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Sorted, had that moment today my focus is good now, I know were I am heading... and I'm going to enjoy the journey now ... just that lizard brain thing we all have.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve okay then. Where are you headed?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
To the stars

At todays meetup it was obvious that everyone thinks of me as a thought leader ... everyone but me, that is.

When someone comes up to you and says, I was asked why I get up at 6am to come here, and they answer because they want to me their version of me ... it is humbling and tells you exactly what others think of you.

So I am going accept that I am a thought leader and be the best one I can be.

How's that for a start.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Steve

It's about time. 8-)

All seriousness aside it was a matter of time before ppl started asking you "How do you do what you do?" and you figured out that you needed to teach them.

new thread... what does a thought leader do?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba, there is another version of the big rocks. The format is the same; big rocks, smaller rocks and sand. But lastly, you add cups of coffee to the mix because there is always room to have a cup of coffee with a friend.

We don't write it down because we think we don't need to.
We don't delegate it because we think no one else can so it.
We don't prioritize because we think it's all important.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel - I've definitely been guilty of each of these!

There have been times I've been better at each but other times.. not so much!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
I am no doubt not as good a time manager as I want to think I am.

Especially when I am working alone.

I used to be terribly disciplined.

Now I find myself rather lax.

I wish I could turn it around again ... but my willpower has become won'tpower.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
28114 15 15
destitute