BillBelew.com
Business AdviceFacebookPaid Search

Where to Find a Facebook Expert713

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Any Facebook experts here, I just don't get the platform from a business perspective ... I understand the advertising aspect but i just don't get why businesses would spend time on Facebook.

Would love to get to understand it better...
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Don't do business with friends and family.

Who do you hang out with on Facebook? Friends and family.

'nuff said.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
There are lots of Facebook training programs now, and lots of videos on this. I do know folks who went from Google PPC to FB ads.

Here's a simple 2 minute video I recently came across that captures the essence of why you can't ignore FB today -

I don't have a consumer product. Otherwise, I'd be all over it!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
The only people making money on Facebook are people teaching other people how to make money on Facebook.

Show me somebody who has a tangible product that they are selling to real people who are paying them money for it.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
But isn't it a principle of marketing, to go hang out with your audience... I keep hearing about FB but I am not getting it ... and I would love to be able to turn a trick with it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
As I've mentioned, it's a big cocktail event - don't be that guy trying to sell insurance that everyone avoids.

Your goal is to capture leads - in other words just getting their business card after a pleasant exchange.

Here's what most people do -

..they typically create a business fan page and try to beg everyone to like it. At first your friends and family will humor you, but eventually they'll avoid you like the Amway schtick.

Instead, a better strategy is to appeal to their selfish desires.

One of THE most successful groups I've seen is a gal selling branding coaching.

But guess what?

The group isn't called branding or webinar coaching - any of the stuff that is more intuitive to content marketers and SEO gurus.

She called it the "Freedom Hacker's Mastermind" - she knew that her audience was folks who wanted to grow their coaching or online business.

Contrary to @Belew's opinion there are guys crushing it with selling yoga products, nutritional supplements, you name it.

I love the point that Jon Tarr makes..

On that TV show Shark Tank they ask:

What are your sales?

How much does it cost you to get a sale?
(no one ever knows)

How much is a customer worth to you?
(same)

If you want to learn more about what John and Kyle are doing with REAL products - these guys are the real deal! (skip the get to know you stuff and go to 0:36:00 or so for the straight numbers - 01:04:00 shows you their basic technique / 01:17:00 screen shots of actual campaigns)

I almost hesitate to share this b/c if you're of the opinion that "Facebook is a scam" or "the only people making money on Facebook are those selling programs on how to make money," this is likely to make you tune out.

All I want to do is to share some of what I've seen with folks who are open to other possibilities.

Bottom line - scalable traffic with measureable ROI with no risk of getting Google slapped

p.s. The best free training I've seen is from Bret Gregory.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I have been wrong before.

Thanks!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
For a while businesses weren't sure how Facebook was ever going to turn a buck -

..but I think Zuckerberg always knew the value of the DATABASE that he was building for them.

Think about it - Facebook is the world's largest database of personal preferences, behaviors, etc.

..a marketer's dream come true!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
p.s. I won't confirm nor deny whether I've done some consulting on the side for Facebook. You didn't hear it from me - and if you claim that I mentioned this, I will deny it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
A reasonable source for education is...?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Check out Bret Gregory's stuff - you can't beat it for free.

It's the best practical content with very little fluff.

But you can't make that purse out of a sow's ear..

If you don't have a converting offer, or you're unclear on what you're selling, it's a waste of money.

I know, because I've been there / done that.

Once you've got some things figured out, then step up to Jon & Kyle's program.

You'll eventually build up enough sales that - well, quite frankly, you'll "break" Facebook's system and get accounts banned. (Of course, like anything there are ways to deal w/ that..)

Don't worry about that for now.

Learn the basics, make a few sales, rinse and repeat.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew You are right. When I employ my brother and need him to do the work, it is hard. Maybe I didn't explain correctly.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Thanks @jycmba, I have the free ebook, kindle book and the sale content and services worked out. None of it is written yet, however, as I learned in LA, that is not an issue at the moment.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@morrnel - y, that's the trick.. there's no getting around what needs to be done.

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to figure out how. Good luck, Mr Phelps - the IMF will, of course, disavow any knowledge of your actions.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Or I could put my shoe to my ear and check in with agent 99.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
What are the pros and cons of combining personal and business on one page versus a personal page and then a business page(s)?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@morrnel Biggest disadvantage to not having a company page is

1. Cannot schedule posts.
2. Don't get all the nice stats and insights

These are the few things I've picked up, but I closed my company page down a year or two back, simply because I didn't have the time to use Facebook properly and the reach isn't as good as I get elsewhere.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@morrnel - personal pages have a limit of 5k friends
Post 18 • IP   flag post
It seems to me Facebook is my best bet for the market I'm pushing: 64+
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

If you spend enough money you can eventually make some of it back...whether on Facebook or elsewhere.

The question is can you make more back than you spend and compensate yourself for the time it took.

If you can ... do it.

Another consideration - what happens when you stop spending either because you have to or don't want to spend any more?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
I plan to blend and phase out the spending part. My main customer base will be on Facebook and that is going to be tough to do organically.

As i understand it, you need pay for the impression but the shares are free. The challenge will be to write compelling Facebook content to encourage them to share without asking them to.

I am hesitant to spend much at all on Google. Never had any luck with paid search results.

I have a 60 day window to get related things in place.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Very curious to know how things play out for you.

I hope you will share lessons learned along the way.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
The people I've seen successful on Facebook know that they customers are found there and get it down to age, location, income bracket - down to if they are Oprah fans or Deepak Chopra or both, whether they like Grey's Anatomy or Walking Dead (very different audiences,) etc.

They know exactly what the conversion rate is for their offer so they know that spending $x will return $y. And the offer can lead magnets, events or initially "Like" to keep the conversation going.

It's all very precise for these folks, and the only guess work is done with A/B split tests.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

How much did it cost them and how long did it take for them to get that point?
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@Belew - every business is as different as their audience. The more clearly you define your audience, the less (time, $$, effort) you will waste in trying to reach them.

In the end as you've talked about, there's no getting around the need for that clarity.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
Very important lesson. Networking.
Hebrews 13:2. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
Identifying my target.
1. Seniors about to signup for Medicare. Initial signup age is 64-3/4 years. So need to educate them prior to that age
2. Their spouses/care givers. Not an easy target.
3. Agents. Based upon conversations and articles I've read, there are way too many agent who have no clue about how to really sell the right Medicare plan. How can this tool can help agents better assist. This target makes it easier to monetize the site.

Monetizing first two items have been a struggle for me. Making money on the commission is the most straight forward. However, there are very specific rules related to selling Medicare.

For those interested in taking a peek, http://medicarefivestars.com
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@Belew, I am happy to share my ride with all. Perhaps you want to move these couple of posts to a separate thread and will add from there.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@morrnel - "there are many roads to Rome.."

Have you read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho? I often recommend this to entrepreneurs as required reading.

No, you're not going to find how to set up a landing page or build your email list..

But you are going to get a meditation on how you start off on your entrepreneur's journey seeking treasure on one route, go where you think you're off-track, and often end up finding yourself and ultimately your goal where you least expect.

For example, it may seem like the path to take is the traditional "get traffic with lead magnet, sell insurance & receive commission.." -

Maybe you end up creating a site where other providers can get leads that you can't service..

..or maybe you teach providers how to communicate their value to seniors..

On and on..

Again, the key is to get more & more clear who your ideal audience IS, not who you think they are.

It may just surprise that it's not even seniors themselves..
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@jycmba, Thanks. I have already been taken in directions not planned.

This has been a fascinating experience. As I share with more people, new ideas pop out or variations I did not even think of.

If is a simple fact that I will not be able to service all the leads. It would take about 3,000 certifications nationwide. Won't happen in my lifetime.

The idea of agents buying into the use of the site as alternative is quite appealing.

What ever the path, the seniors will be the beneficiaries.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
29623 45 30
destitute