BillBelew.com
HTML CodeSEO Advice

Using Header <h> tags in articles718

DevinGalaudet private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all,

For the last six month or so, I have been using <h> tags in my stories -- mostly as a way to use more keywords in an article. Does anyone have experience with this, or have thoughts as to a strategy?

I have been using <h2> at the top and <h3> in several locations throughout.

Thanks for any help.

Best to all,
d
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@DevinGalaudet

I don't use <H> tags to increase key word density even though they will...i use them to give the reader an easy way to scan an article for content and to determine if they want to read.

headers are more for readers IMHO than for search boys though the search bots will pick up on them as well.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Thanks Belew,

Much appreciated!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I use only <h2> mostly for making it easier to read. If my keyword phrase fits in the header, I'll include it.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
This is how I use <h> or title tags.

The title of my article is H1, I then use h2 (normally once) and then h3 tags ... throughout the article.

I don't break the article up so that I can use titles, and only one title apart from the blog title will ever have a keyword in ... no keyword stuffing ...

I've also got all my title tags set to be exactly the same size, so that anyone reading knows its a title but not which one ...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Heading, <hx>, or title tags happen to display as bold and at a related size by default in most browsers. Don't mistake that, however, as significant to search engines which may or may not be looking for <b>old, or <strong> (important), or <em>phasized text. Display is not the same as, and should not be confused with, purpose.

These heading tags are designed to suggest a hierarchy. The whole page has a single top-level heading which should, therefore, be H1. First level sub-sections of the page (one or more) should then be H2. Sub-sub-sections (natural breaks requiring headings, but contained within the context of a first level sub-section) should be H3, and so on.

Be careful, though. Some themes will use H1 for the site title in the header. This will be the actual H1 on every page. They then use H2 for the page title and so your hierarchy should then progress immediately to H3 for your first level sub-sections. Know your theme before coding your content.

It is the correct layout coding in the use of Hx tags, this hierarchy, that Google is interested in. The font size and whether it is bold or not makes no difference. Try this:

<h2 style="font-size 12px; font-weight: normal;">This is small and non-bold but it is still an H2 level heading!</h2>

Hx tags should only be used for the purpose for which they were designed. If you want bold text that isn't a heading or title, use <b>old tags or style it.

Also stay current on which tags have been deprecated. <center>, <font>, <frame> (and associated), <strike>, and my old favorite <tt>, are among often used tags that are no longer supported in HTML5. Browsers have maintained support for these for legacy reasons but if your theme's doctype is set correctly it won't matter what the browser thinks. You should probably not use them, and any other deprecated tags, any longer.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev what rev said ... above and beyond
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the insights.
devin
Post 8 • IP   flag post
26083 8 8
destitute