I am a poor judge of character.

I have been stiffed again by a client.

How do you keep from being cheated?

How do you not stop trusting people?

How do you recover when it happens?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
How do you stop it?

Ensure you get paid first, or at least the bulk of the money first ...

Sorry to hear this ... you need to work on the assumption of no payment, now work ... no payment = no work ...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

I hear ya!

The list of people I absolutely trust has grown very very short. And I don't like being non-trusting.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
I've never charged up-front, but - for better or worse -- I'm beginning to understand the reason to so do.

It hasn't happened enough times to really identify what the "flags" are -- but the last one (which I found out after I completed the job):
1) Wants investors, but doesn't want to deal with investors expecting partial ownership of the company (i.e., stock)
2) Also refuses the idea of a business loan.

In other words:
a) Wants the money without any form of responsibility or return to the investor.
b) Doesn't seem to want to pay as agreed to the vendor they hired, either.

The amount of money is not much. However - the amount of time I'm spending to get the money is close to exceeding the amount of time I put in (and billed) for the job.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear. It's happened to me as well. But as President Reagan once said. "Trust but verify."
In this case, Trust the deposit is good and verify it was. It's alright to ask up front. Can you purchase any on the net without first paying?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It didn't take too many of these for me to learn. Total US$500.00 or less, full payment in advance. US$500.01 or more, 50% in advance, balance 30 days. The actual dollar ranges aren't cast in stone. Set levels that work for you. But stick to them!

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for your services today!"

Post 6 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I learned my lesson well @Rev.

I am smarter for it... and poorer, too!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Great will be your reward in... oh, 86 that! Get a baseball bat! My friend in Jersey says people love baseball so much they are moved to just pay you right away when they see you coming!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
28324 8 8
destitute