BillBelew.com
Content CreationContent Marketing

How to Tighten Up Your Content723

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
The best content comes from the rewrite.

I don't like rewriting stuff. I want to write, hit publish and go on to the next thing.

But rewriting is where it's at.

I am writing a piece for a national publication. My word limit is 1500 words.

My first draft was 1250 words. My second draft is 1771 words!

Yikes! Now comes the tightening = no wasting of words to still get the message across.

What is your writing process?

Do you rewrite? How much? Why not?

How do you 'tighten' things up?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Write what you have to say. If it's digital, don't bother with rewrites. Once-over for spelling and publish it. Go back to it a week or so later and see how bad it is. Fix it then.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps a resource worth considering.
Have you removed everything you can from each sentence? Here's a good book: Stanley Fish, "How to Write a Sentence"
A basic sentence to convey a message is three words. "I love music." Then embellish it with only the words necessary to convey the message. Are the extra words needed to support the message? Do the extra sentences support the message of the article?
Use simple words instead of complicated ones.
Consider the reading level of the reader. Write from the reader's perspective.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

An interesting exercise. To paraphrase you:

"Resource worth considering. Removed everything possible? Here's a book: "How to Write a Sentence". Three word sentences. "I love music." Only necessary words. Are extras needed? Do extras support? Use simple words. Consider reading level. From reader's perspective."

Good for me. ;o)
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Exercise:

"Necessary resources only. Book - "How to Write a Sentence". Three word sentences. "I love music." Only necessary words. No extras. Simple words. Consider reader"
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Deal was three. Play by rules. Anybody can shorten! ;o)
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Four sentences or one: I love classical music when I dance with my wife at the nightclub.
Is everything necessary in the whole sentence?

This book, which I purchased on Kindle, got me thinking about what I really need in a sentence to convey my message.
or...
This book got me thinking about what I need to convey my message.

Another arrow in the quiver.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Print publication writing tends follow the tradition inverted pyramid formula in that you write so that the most important things you want to get across are at the top and the least important at the bottom of the article.

This then allows you to cut from the bottom up to meet space restrictions ... this comes from newspaper publishing when editors would cut from the bottom up, as news items came in.

It doesn't work for blogs, but it might for publications...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Once you have tightened the content, write until you get the length you need and if you have to cut it off in the middle of the
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

What was that you were going to
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Exercise:

"Necessary resources only. Book - "How to Write a Sentence". Three word sentences. "I love music." Short and simple words. Exclude extras. Care the readers"
Post 11 • IP   flag post
24991 11 11
destitute