BillBelew.com
Content CreationEditingFeedback

Who do you trust to give you feedback?732

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have a deadline (today) on an article I have been working on for over a month for a national well-respected online Christian journal.

Problem: I have been writing in a vacuum ... of sorts.

I write alone most of the time. There are sometimes people sitting next to me ... in a coffee shop.

There are also people in this forum that have come to, can I say it?, love and also highly respect.

But, I do not yet have someone nearby that I can show something to - this article, for example, is 1700+ words and needs to be whittled down to 1500 - and get the harsh feedback I need. Or do I?

Where do you go to get real feedback on something you are working really hard on?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah. You ever wonder who the top players turn to for help? No matter what your level, everyone needs a mentor and a sounding board -- if just to hear yourself think out loud.

Someone close (geographically) is good. Being able to sit together in a coffee shop and go over a plan, an outline, a manuscript, is nice. But these days it hardly matters.

The two people I would consider friends, mentors, and sounding boards, are not exactly local. One I have only met once in person. He's from Fairhope, Alabama, and made a detour through Kansas while on vacation one year. The other, whom I've only met online, is in a little town called Mollymook, south of Sydney, Australia.

Both started out as clients. I've done a lot of work for them, and still do. But it now goes much deeper than that and I have gained far more than fees for services rendered.

@Belew Find the right person and it will truly be win-win.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Mollymook? Can you say that out loud without laughing?

I live in Mollymook.

Good for you for having someone/s you can truly rely on to give real feedback.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Don't laugh at "Mollymook" when you are standing in a group of surfer blokes from down the beach there. And if you were from that "neck of the woods" you'd say "Good on ya, mate..." not "Good for you..."

Gotta love how English has become so many languages... the original British, Ah-strahl-ian, A-mer-can, and Can-ay-jan, eh.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

We had @Steve on a Google Hangout yesterday (thought you might join us).

He explained is Twitter strategy in some foreign language that vaguely resembled English.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

@jycmba posted the 'raw' version to

@Steve on mastering Twitter
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Would have loved to have been there. Been slammed with work all week. Not really a bad problem to have but it does get in the way of having fun. Will look at the replay. Thanks.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I started my own networking group over ten years ago now, the original members of this group who still come form a mastermind group ... we share information, ask each other advice, etc... we have a few professions represented, lawyer, accountant, etc.... so I have a broad experience base on which to draw.

I also have one person in the group, that I see and speak with quite often and we are forever bouncing ideas off of each other ... this sounding board is invaluable.

I also reach out, I've asked Bill here a few times... etc.

I like feedback, lots of it when I have a decision to me, I don't also follow it, but I love to receive it.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Steve

"I also reach out..."

That's the key, isn't it?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev it sure is,

People won't approach you and ask to help you ... you follow your gut and ask those you trust and respect.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Giving unsolicited advice doesn't work most of the time as @Steve points out.

Waiting for it is not good form either.

Ask and it will be given to you ...
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I can do the editing. My writing tends to be short and terse anyway. Sorry I wasn't there the day you needed it done!

I ask some of my friends that I see on a regular basis, but would this be a good place to ask as well?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

This is a good place to make friends for the eventuality of editing one another's stuff.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
I'll take feedback from most anyone ... but it doesn't mean I will listen.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
29627 14 14
destitute