BillBelew.com
KeywordsSEOWordPress

Does SEO include WordPress alternative text?752

Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
How much of an effect, if any, does the alternative text for WordPress figures have with SEO?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

Alternate Text (Alt Txt) does not make a huge difference.

But it's very easy to include, just cut and paste the same thing you used for the caption for example.

Alt Txt is for sight impaired and other robot readers.

Including alt txt is a way to increase keyword density without annoying your readers or cluttering up the page.

Alt txt is only visible to the search bots.

You should include it.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @Belew, I was wondering what the effect is for SEO results. More is always better, especially when it's easy to do.

I do include alt txt - sometimes it's strictly copy/paste the caption, sometimes I add more words to the alt txt.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@rcayeras

More is even better when we can do more and NOT annoy readers, too!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Alternate (alt) text is "fall-back" text designed to display when the image fails to load. It should, therefore, describe what the image portrays. Where the caption might say, "The Bass I Caught Lass Summer" the alt text would be better as, "three fishermen with gear standing on the pier, lake in the background, one holding up s large fish".

Most impaired-vision reader apps vocalize the alt text so the site visitor can "see" the image aurally. Because the content of the alt attribute is indexed many people use it to stack SEO keywords, however I suspect you are better served to have an actual keyword-rich description of the image rather than just a list of page related keywords.

Google is about to do some truly amazing things in the area of understanding language. Best be ready for it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
28286 5 5
destitute