BillBelew.com
BrainstormingCustomer Service

How's things? - reaching out to clients and771

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Many years ago I learned to ask open ended questions and the best of all open ended questions is "Hows things?"

If you pick the phone up and call your customers and ask "hows things?" you'll often get more work, or a I was thinking about you ...

If you call friends and associates, opportunities arise ...

So let me ask you Hows things?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Things are very good. Sometime things don't happen when I expect them. Later I learn there was a reason.

I exchanged emails with an old friend. He's a long time friend and mid 80's. I asked him about my logo. He was so exited to hear from me and happy that there are people out there helping those who need it the most.

And you also get a big "Thank You" when you least expect it. Thanks for asking.

So, How's Things, Steve?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Hows things? Just your typical Saturday ... I'm writing an article and pottering about, I'm getting ready for a meetup tomorrow ... and funnily enough an old associate contacted me via Twitter ... trying to pick my brains ...

But everything is good, here ...

How about everyone else, hows things?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I hope things improve
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member 9millionairess private msg quote post Address this user
Things are wonderful. I when out to share some information about my new company. 89 degree. It became really clear that I can do this from home. Being in the heat gets your creative juices going especially while you're sweating. My "potential New client" said my proposal sounded good.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Things are good and bad.

A good friend told me a while back, "At our age, there are always enough things going on in our lives that some things have to be going well and some things not so well."

We want the going well things to overpower the others.

My son gave an incredible performance last night, received a rousing and sustained standing ovation.

Nothing else mattered at the moment. To see him loved made me so humble.

I never wanted him to be like me. I want to be like him!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member andreyseas private msg quote post Address this user
Things are going well, but somewhat scary. Entrepreneurship has proven to be the true definition of "walking by faith and not by sight" for me.

Met with a client today. Went very well. Realizing that it's difficult for me to collect money. I've also been reaching out to potential referral partners. Out of 5 businesses I cold called, at least 3 were interested which was nice.

I realized that people do business with those they know, like, and trust. Online marketing makes that process go a little slower. I need to leverage in-person meetings more by inviting clients for in person consultations instead of over the phone.

Time's running out, but I'm learning a heck of a lot.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@andreyseas

How do you get that initial meeting with potential clients?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@andreyseas When I started out in business you have all of the answers to what you actually do or the product you sell, and even though you might have worked in business... the learning curve from working in a business to actually running your own, especially a startup is massive.

Customers sense that you are new blood and don't want to place orders with you ... and everyone sinks, those that learn enough or have a break of luck survive and learn to swim with the sharks... the rest sink.

When i started out ...

Meetup
I hosted a meetup at my house, in an undercovered outside area. We had about 26 people come along, I did a presentation and we gained about four or five clients.

Postcards
I did a postcard drop of all the local businesses, about 3,000 of them. (I did a barter agreement to get the cards). that resulted in two or three new clients.

Networking
I went networking in person at every business group possible, I learned how to do it, made friends and gained clients and referrals from others.

There were a few other things I did when I started out... but those three were massive for me, and gave me enough of a start that here I am twenty years later...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve I've tried your "How's things with you?" to my network.

"Good. Thanks"

When I am asked, "Yes? Why?"

How do I reply to them professionally to ask for a full time job?
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@tienny how about a nice simple reply, such as great although I am looking for a new job... or great I am looking for new employment opportunities ...

Just be yourself ... people will either like you or they won't, those that like you, great those that don't, don't matter.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny a while back I sold (or tried) to sell some real estate - believe me, I tried all kinds of gimmicks.

But in the end a friend used another realtor. At first I was shocked and disappointed, of course.

After a while I got over myself and realized that I hadn't demonstrated WHY they would want to work with me.

I figured they knew how awesome I was and that was enough.

Well, since then I've found anytime someone asked me to help them, it's been because of the same things we constantly talk about on this forum.

Identify the pain points of your customer - show them how / why we offer the best solution (VALUE) for them - effectively communicate this again & again.. so when the time comes, there is no other choice but us. (REWARD)

For example, build a small sample of layouts that, say, the day spa owner you know would be interested in. (The more you show why you're THE graphic designr for them, the easier the decision will be..)

Make "value comes before reward" your mantra & you won't go wrong!
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@jycmba @tienny

value before reward is spot on.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Yes. I care about the value. I hope to meet the right people.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@tienny

What do you do to meet the right people?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew I need to learn to be
1. Wary of people
2. Able to read between the lines
3. More assertive

These are the parts I am weak in.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Dale Carnegie. How to Win Friends & Influence People.
It is also available in audio.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
28693 17 17
destitute