BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceFeedbackTeaching

How to handle stepping outside expertise778

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am not photogenic. And despite my size I have a high nasal-y voice.

So I write.

An upcoming speaking gig wants me to create a short video intro of the talk I will give.

how do you handle stepping way out your expertise?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
One of two ways...

1) Hire it done, or

2) Just do the sucker.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
edhouse private msg quote post Address this user
I started my career as a night club DJ, but I rarely spoke even though it was an extremely important part of the job. When I finally was forced to speak, I embraced it and ultimately became very good at it.

What I have found in my experience is that no one is really comfortable stepping outside of their expertise (or comfort zone), therefore, when anyone does this, they are usually accepted and most times admired by the community they are serving.

What I have done when it becomes necessary, is to approach the situation with the most confidence that I can. You are the person creating the video and speaking. The audience is not. Who are they to question your authority? (So to speak...)

I haven't contributed much to this forum since I became a member, but I have been listening, and you appear to me to be very talented and creative. You will WOW any crowd you speak to whether in person or via a video recording.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I hope that it is. I was compelled to write something, since the question of "stepping out of my expertise" hit home.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Rev

it's my face they want to see... poor souls.

guess it's just doing the thing.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@edhouse

Thanks for chiming in. And thanks more so for the encouragement.

Off to my corner and my video now for me.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@edhouse

Well said!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
9millionairess private msg quote post Address this user
Bill,
The information is KEY! If I knew what you know "I would Handle IT!" plain and simple. You are the man and the "poor souls" will be "Smarter Poor Soul" Booyah
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew We all start out as a blank canvas and it's the things we embrace the challenges we accept that make us who we are. And it's often the things we do that are outside our comfort zone that push us to achieve new heights.

That's not to say that you should film and edit the video intro yourself... hire a professional to help you... you do your part and get them to do their part...

Hire for the expertize you don't have and do the best bits yourself.

Take these Google hangouts we are doing, I hated the first one ... the camera and all, but now it doesn't bother me, it's just part and parcel of it...

Now off to the corner and play with yourself and your video camera ....
Post 8 • IP   flag post
When I lived in Japan there was ALWAYS road construction going on. I mean ALWAYS ALWAYS.

I used to get frustrated by getting detoured.

But then something interesting happened.

I started to enjoy the detours.

And over time, the routes I had been detoured to became my preferred routes.

Getting forced outside of our expertise/comfort zones often pushes us to places we find that we'd rather be.

There's a life lesson in here somewhere, eh?
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Speaking to this room full of elderly folk was great fun.

They were cut ups, they interrupted me, they poked fun, they were not PC, they laughed out loud ... they wanted to stay around for me to do more ... but the champagne was calling.

And I didn't have to compete with whatever they might have been looking at on their cell phones!

I wish I had more engaged crowds like them.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
27513 10 10
destitute