BillBelew.com
AnalyticsBlogging

What Should We Think about Bounce Rates?788

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Curious as to what people think about website bounce rates...

Is your bounce rate high, low, do you monitor it over time... do you understand it, know what it tells you, etc.?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I compare bounce rates on my site to bounce rates on my site.

Each site is different.

I want people to come and stay.

Pages viewed per visit should improve.

Time on site should be improving.

Bounce rates should be improving.

My KPI is organic traffic and traffic from referral sites that I trust. The rest, I don't care about.

How about you @Steve?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Bounce rates tell me if my content is attracting the right audience ... if it is high your audience is hitting your site and moving straight off ... which normally means you aren't focused on your niche enough and are trying to be all things to all people ...

If your bounce rate is low or lowering ... it means you are doing things right and your audience is landing and finding things they like ...

You also have to remember that lots of things affect bounce rates... for instance if your content is good and your presentation of it poor... more people will leave ... if you simply change the presentation and keep the same content the bounce rate can drop ...

Same with mobile... content presented for computer readers and not for mobile readers ... then these people leave and inflate the bounce rate...

etc... etc... etc ...

As @Belew likes numbers ... my current bounce rate is 18.97% ... but I have seen this much, much higher and it's one of the reasons I moved away from using Cloudflare for my site ... but that's a different story ...
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

I'd like to hear that story...
Post 4 • IP   flag post
From January to around April I noticed that my visitors numbers had stopped growing and were going backwards... I didn't know why.

I investigated and came to the conclusion that the IP addresses Cloudflare uses were being also used by Spammers, etc., and this was causing my website to lose traffic. There is nothing scientific in this... it was me looking at things and making deductions.

I decided to drop cloudflare, bearing in mind I was using a paid service and since I have my visitor figures have recovered and are growing again.

This of course could be a coincidence, who knows ...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I have a high bounce rates
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Bounce rate is now down to 9.93% ...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I don't always trust bounce rate.

my daughter has a pretty low bounce rate and my opinion is that her content just isn't that good. I may be wrong.

I don't think analytics is always accurate.

I find it extremely difficult to believe, for example, that most YouTube videos are getting the views that are indicated.

I wouldn't be surprised if G's numbers are inflated. After all, What do they want to show advertisers?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Google isn't the most accurate however it is the world standard now ... and provided you use the same tool to measure, you get an indication of how things are improving.

Bounce rates, relate to visitors and page views... I can see how many visitors I get, and know how many page views ... so most people visiting the site see two or more pages ... which backs up the low bounce rate.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve

But I thought you didn't look at analytics? 8-)

I look at them way too much.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
29714 10 10
destitute