BillBelew.com
InspirationMotivation

Dealing with a Lack of Motivation789

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
One of the toughest parts (for me anyway) when working alone is the lack of accountability.

Nobody tells me to work.
Nobody yells at me when I don't.

How do you make yourself do something when you just don't feel like it?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
i'm on my way to the gym, so super briefly:

1) the x effect
2) Routines will make you better at what you do.
3) consequence -- commit to a $100 fine if you don't do what you need to do
4) use productivity hacks to keep your mind occupied (e.g., GTD, Do It Tomorrow)
5) The "second task" -- You'll do the first task if you have a highly motivating second task behind it. Example: You have a strong NEED to take out the trash, so put a task in front of it. "I'll finish my blogpost so I can get the trash out."

Next time you really have to use the restroom, watch what tasks you put in front of that and you'll see how effective it is. Same with watching a TV show when it first airs (e.g, Game of Thrones) -- you'll put several tasks in front of that so you can "get them done" before the show comes on.

Lastly -- you wrote that nobody is telling you, or yelling at you. I invite you to reconsider. You are in fact telling yourself stuff ("lazy sot, procrastinator, sloth" and you are yelling at yourself ("I suck, I'm a loser, I'll never amount to anything, I'm worthless." This self-talk drives your current state and current behavior.

Time for a new script.

Go to the gym.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
When you feel the need for motivation, there is probably someone else working alone like you who needs the very same kind of motivation. Pick up the phone or send a message and neither will be necessary.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Ask a friend (or partner) to hold you accountable.

For instance, "how many lines did you write today? How many lines do you want to write tomorrow?

Or, "What's difficult for you right now. What's going well." That may not be a daily exercise, but maybe once a week?

I'm full of ideas, but I know that when others have asked about how I'm doing, encouraged me in some way, it works wonders.

@morrnel, you beat me to the button!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
labellecleo private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
That's something that I find hard to keep up too. I was told setting a reward for yourself at the end at some tasks helps to keep you going. Eg. Watch a movie, watching chocolates, buy myself something cool etc.
Or find a work buddy to account to.

Either way, I think there's no general formula. What works for you might not for me. So it's a bit of trial and error to see what sticks. :-)
Post 5 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
I've joined a master mind group of bloggers and writers to hold me accountable. It helps. Also, when I see others (people in my group are dynamos!) accomplishing so much, I get inspired and also don't want to be left behind so I get busy!

Another way is to establish routines. Write down goals that you review every morning and/or before going to bed. Visualize clearly what you're going to accomplish that day.

Always experiment to see what works for you and tweak.

Don't rely on willpower because that can get depleted fairly quickly.

Hope this helps!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Back from the gym / adding on:

nanowrimo, and

WordWars, and

co-working spaces.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I also write a list in the morning. It helps.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Get back to work @Bill!
Post 9 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - I've never lacked for motivation.. guess I'm just wired differently that way.

No, my problem is that there are so many possibilities. Sometimes it takes all my willpower to focus on One Thing.

And I've learned that contrary to what you might thing, willpower IS limited.

This has been confirmed by not only Gary Keller but even Scott Adams talks about it as "energy management.."

So, this goes back to the Stephen Covey approach of dealing with BIG rocks first. That helps us to get on the right side of the curve, plus it helps the Elephant feel better..

..ultimately, if you don't keep Her happy, the Elephant will wander off the trail - then you're done!

So, it's better to feed her both encouragement and peanuts that keep her on the path you want to follow!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Yes, it's been scientifically proven that willpower is limited. So if you use your willpower to exercise in the morning, then more will power to refrain from eating the pastries in the office, then you might not have enough to get yourself to really focus and work.

That's why creating habits is good. Maybe breaking projects down into discreet steps and rewarding yourself for each bit?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@mcc

How do your create new habits?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
There's a really good book on Mini Habits that shows you how. I have to run now, but let me get back to you.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
It has been said that if you do something consistently for 21 days, you have developed a habit.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Sorry to say that has been debunked. For most people, it takes far longer than 21 days to establish a habit. Besides that, it's not exactly the same for everyone.

But it most likely does take at least 21 days to establish a habit. What I'm saying is, allow yourself much longer than that.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Consistency does it!
Post 16 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
If lack of motivation, it is better to meet other like-minded people to push.

For my case, I am trying to focus on a few things, which is very bad for me. Normally, when I focus on one thing, I can not be disturbed.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
Hi, sorry I'm only now replying to an older thread. I've been really tied up with something. Here's something I've copied in regards to creating mini habits:

Small actions every day are the best way of building a habit. Dr. B. J. Fogg, director of Stanford University's Behavior Design Lab, explains how this works:

If you pick something that's so small and so simple, like flossing one tooth, then it's really easy to do. And things that are easy to do don't require lots of motivation.

It's also worth pointing out that the second part of Fogg's method for creating new habits is ritual. In his own words:

Sequence the [new] habit after something that you already do habitually... so you're triggering the new behavior with a behavior that you already have"
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Lacking energy will probably give a blow to motivation.

I have been giving serious attention to my diet, as in hoping to drop a few pounds, which I have.

But I think that perhaps since the pounds have dropped off, so has the energy level ... and the motivation.

No gasoline in the tank is likely to keep the motor from revving up I reckon.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Just read Scott Adams' How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big -

He devotes a lot to talking about managing our energy as "moist robots" - as mentioned in that other thread with the summary video, this is a really inspiring book.

Sure, he echoes a lot of what we talk about here on this forum about focusing on process vs. results.

But it's the details about energy that we often overlook.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I downloaded this to my Kindle ... it has moved up the list of books I want to read after finishing the ones I am reading now.

Maybe I need to move it higher up the list.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Another motivation drain is not feeling well physically. Oh, @Belew basically said the same thing.

But sometimes it is just the most urgent and necessary things that get done, and the others slide when someone is not feeling well.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

In my case it is not feeling badly as much as it is just not eating enough.

But then, eating too much doesn't work either.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
I've never believed in "diets."

Adams talks about testing & fine tuning - that's pretty much what I have instinctively done.

Guess I didn't think it was anything special.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Thanks for this. I have been failing and dragging myself up. Some works. Some does not work.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@tienny - I'll let you in on a secret.

"Failure" is a term made up in schools.

In real life there are only really successes and lessons.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@tienny, what @jycmba said.
How can you fly like an eagle when you're surrounded with turkeys. Well are surrounded by eagles here.
Post 27 • IP   flag post

I just wrote about How a Rising Tide Can Raise Your Creativity
Post 28 • IP   flag post
rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a "favorite quote" shared by Vicky Swan would count here.

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”–Winston Churchill
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@morrnel Now I am looking for eagles.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
25991 43 30
destitute