BillBelew.com
Content MarketingTeaching

What Do You Want in a Google Hangout?792

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, we've had three very cool Hangouts - and folks have been saying they want more..

What do YOU want to see on a Hangout? ..what topics or questions do you want asked / answered?

..or better yet WHO do you want to see talking?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

My experience is that many people (most?) don't know what they don't know.

or they don't know what it is they should want to know.

how abt a Hangout where we make a working list of everything we need to know to do our job or wish we knew before we started?

Then we can go back and break that list down one by one in future Hangouts.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Belew - the thing about the "medium being the message" is that what works in blogging only works to a degree in video.

While you can list things and create a blog post that search engines love, it doesn't translate as well on YouTube.

Of course, this doesn't mean it's not do-able. We just have to be a bit more creative in how to frame it..
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

YouTube videos become searchable ... even more so that a text only blog post ... if you embed the YT in to a post and surround it with enough text/reason for people to watch the video.

If you just throw up a video on YT... it's a slog ... you have only the title and the description for people to find.

In the body of a post ... you have the text also.

Makes sense?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew - there's definitely more to YouTube than throwing up a video; you're right that the writeup and keywords will affect search.

(I've learned a lot from @Ileane ..)

But equally, if not more important is stuff like view time, sharing, 'Likes,' subscribers.. etc.

If you're video is a list of stuff, viewers are going to tune out & click away.

Bounce rate is probably as harsh on YouTube, if not more so.

I know for me, I decide in a few seconds whether I am willing to stick around for the next minute or so. If the video is just going on & on, there's no way I'll be around for longer.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

View time, sharing, likes don't happen if the YouTube is not found in the first place.

People either have to find it or be told where it's at.

Like posts ... videos should be long enough to satisfy the query/interest of the person watching it.

I am all about getting people there in the first place... while also creating content that's worthy of having them there.

The content you are creating with the hangouts is good stuff. Next step is getting them watched. Then coming back for more.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Like many things in content marketing it's about process before results.. aka value before reward.. hmm.. seems to be a theme.. time for another blog post!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Anything on the docket this weekend?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - didn't get much feedback from folks on doing the next one

Glad to set them up but just need more participation. @Steve has been really awesome in participating.

I have a client that I thought would be ideal for the hotseat. But she hasn't responded yet.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Perhaps if you approached @Rev directly?

He has a lot of good stuff to share.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
We just need a few people committed to attending & offering their expertise, and at least one person willing to be coached.

Don't know if @Bart_Chapman or @brandnub feel ready yet.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Let me jump in here... the issue is the marketing ... sorry but if you look at how most webinars are handled...

1. They are promoted.
2. You register.
3. You get email reminders.
4. You get an audience
5. You get audience questions and answers

We're doing these quickly, often selecting the time, topic a day before, etc... how about we try using the same formula as everyone else ... it obviously works.

Just my opinion of course ...
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Steve - you're right, of course ..except most webinars also have incentive for experts to pitch stuff & it's not like herding cats to get them to show up!

So, that's another reason to step back.

I like the energy of the original ones. But like many things passion isn't enough. We need something more sustainable to keep going.

This is very much like the challenges we had with running a weekly volunteer-run event, aka Cellspace.

Initially, everyone loved pitching in but after a while, it was the same 4-5 people doing all the work.

That gets old.. FAST!

At some point I realized the power of beneficial selfishness.

When people are motivated by their own self-interest to help out, then they come to you.. hmm.. sorta like INBOUND vs. OUTBOUND marketing..?

So when there's enough interest, we'll set these up again.

Until then, over and out!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Interesting perspective, what were your expectations in starting these Google Hangouts?
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Steve - Folks on this forum kept saying "wouldn't it be good to do a Hangout? Let's do a Hangout.." Lots of talk & no action.

I saw a need & took care of it. Guess it's in my nature.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I appreciate the action.

I think the forum may still be a bit young and we didn't get the following we wanted.

If we have advanced notice I would ping my Meetup groups and invite outside interest.

Attract users here and from outside.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew - Bill, I don't mind doing it.

For me if it's worth doing for 1000 True Fans, it's worth doing for your first 10.

But at the same time I want it to be worth the while of everyone involved.

Like I said, when there's enough interest from both sides, we'll make it happen again.

As you and I discussed, I'm not into chasing people down. There's better uses of my energy.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@jycmba "Like I said, when there's enough interest from both sides, we'll make it happen again."

I don't think I'll be doing these again.

I work slightly differently, in that I produced content when no one came, I would have continued to do these, until people came ...

Guess it means I need to do more of these for myself and not for others, except perhaps as an occasional guest ... as that way I can control how things pan out ...

It also seems kind of strange to me to go from "lets transcribe these and write a book" to let's give up and not do them ...

Just my opinion of course ... and I've never had a problem sharing it ...
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Steve - I guess I have this frustrating (well, for most people) ability to see things from different angles.

It's my blessing and curse.

When I said that we're going to hold off on continuing, that was a discussion of the general hangouts that seemed to have tapered off in interest. (maybe perception but until told otherwise - perception is "reality"

That said, you've mentioned a few times about getting published. There's enough interest there, not just for you but also @Belew - as I believe there is in the "market" -

This is a totally separate discussion, and one I thought would be taken offline with you both - when the time was right.

But if I'm wrong, so be it. It's happened before - I'm pretty sure it'll happen again. Just my 2.5 cents..
Post 19 • IP   flag post
29615 19 19
destitute