BillBelew.com
Content MarketingSocial MediaTwitter

Who's Periscoping? And Why Do It?821

karenyank private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone Periscoping? I'm loving it, reaching a whole new audience. @robert are you? It's really leverages all the work I've done on Twitter! (I'm karenyankovich on Periscope)
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenyank
Anyone Periscoping? I'm loving it, reaching a whole new audience. @steve are you? It's really leverages all the work I've done on Twitter! (I'm karenyankovich on Periscope)
Post 2 • IP   flag post
LOL not Robert, @steve.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What is periscoping?

New to me ... where can I find out what it is?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
It's a live broadcasting app owned by Twitter. You would need to download the app onto your phone and you can start watching broadcasts. Often I find when people start watching they start thinking of ways THEY can use it. And if you're using Twitter, it's a great compliment, leverages all the work I do there.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Thanks! I just downloaded it and am poking around a bit.

I often thought it would be interesting to broadcast a bit from the stage.

Audiences get to watch speakers... I'd like to show audiences what the speaker sees.

What are you using Periscope for?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Then, IF, I can get the audience to watch the video that I am broadcasting of them... hmm...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I'm still building my audience.

I've been doing something I'm calling #BlogScope and I'm talking through my blog posts, which is kind of fun, I can dig deeper and take questions, etc.

I'm starting to do LinkedIn Tips broadcasts but they're not clicking yet.

I'm finding the best scopes are ones that are life/business blended. So I did one the other day when I took my dog for a walk on the beach in the early AM and talked about how I like to center myself before I have a busy day ahead. Lots of people on the scope, lots of people interested in what I do.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Do they have beaches in NJ?

I'd be interested in seeing that.

Can you keep track of who is watching your scope?

I think I will likely figure this out ... but asking is easier. 8-)
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Right? so a little human interest, a little business.

I bought the Interactive Text Response service that Alex Mandossian used at IPL, they're working on getting it to integrate with Ontraport for me, once it's working I can say things like "text LinkedIn to xxx-xxx-xxxx and you'll get my free whatever"

But it's very very cool.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
The scopes can save to your phone (assuming you remember that setting again when you get a new phone, I did not and lost a bunch, including the beach one) so from there you can repurpose the content. I've created a youtube playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpgAsSh6hg6eb0lyDZEz96prR5qLHhF8w

But you lose the comments that way. Still valuable.

Still need to pretty them up a bit, my VA is working on that.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Where did you find your VA?

I have hired one ... and she is absolutely priceless at this point.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
A referral. I agree! I need to find a back up one because I'm so dependent on her right now.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

I have enough work for another one ... but not enough budget.

But then if I paid for another one ... give it a couple of months and she'll pay for herself.

There's always the point where you have to pay to get, but you can't get unless you pay.

Getting over that hump is the tough step.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@karenyank @Steve has me interested in Twitter.

I am still not sure why. But if he swears by it... there must be a good reason.

Jefferson said, "One man with enthusiasm is a majority."

And Steve is definitely very enthusiastic about Twitter.

I figured I might as well see what damage I can do with it, too.

And apparently periscoping can be done in cahoots with Twitter?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank I have the app but have never used it, would love to hear how it works out for you... especially if you're willing to share some of those magical numbers we're all interested in ...

Question ... is this more beneficial than say posting more blog posts?

I imagine you're like me and have a limited amount of time, so is it better to blog more or to do this ...

Things to ponder I guess...
Post 16 • IP   flag post
What @Steve asks.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
It's not as much work as posting a blog post. It's literally come up with something to talk about, turn on your camera and talk.

So one of the things I've been doing is talking through my blog posts, allows me to go deeper, take questions.

I've gotten consistent signups to my list, I'm still putting a process in place to know exactly how many came from periscope, right now I just direct people to my website for more info. But I'm implementing a text to get my free ____ which I can offer from Periscopes, so we'll see what that results in.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Also, the content can be repurposed. The broadcast auto posts to Twitter, and the video saves to the device. You can upload to facebook as native video, and also youtube, which then gives you a link to tweet about, fb post about etc forever more. A blog post can be made with the video embeded. Lots of ways to repurpose.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Its sounding pretty awesome ... I'm going to have to make time for this ... and can't wait to hear how this all pans out.
Post 20 • IP   flag post
It sounds like fun.

But I also heave a deep sigh when I think of yet another platform to use to try to build yet another following in yet another way.

When/where does it all stop?

So many ways to become distracted from doing one thing very well. ... or just a few things for that matter.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
It already appears that despite all the hard work at LinkedIn using their publishing platform, something has changed there.

Whenever we build on someone else's platform, we are at their mercy. I don't like that.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
LinkedIn introduced a new app for mobile users, it allows people to read LinkedIn Pulse News ... and anyone accessing the site on a mobile is now prompted to install it, if they try and view Pulse news.

LinkedIn have also changed the reach you have to your followers, I am not getting notified now when friends who I follow and who post regularly post now, whereas I was previously. This means that my own posts aren't getting pushed to the same number of my followers as they once did.

Getting featured on Pulse has changed, I used to be featured at least once a week, normally more often ... now I am never featured.

More and More people are publishing, some good content, most of it bad ... but it's all noise.

I'm currently still posting daily however I am reviewing this and I have even thought of deleting all of my old posts ... not sure I will do that, but you never know, LinkedIn is someone elses platform and its changed.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I have stopped posting in LI.

I have noticed the same. I went from 4 - figure traffic to 2 - figure.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Ugh on the LinkedIn changes for sure.

Since I develop marketing plans for my clients, I try it all! Some platforms resonate for MY business more than others.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

It just plain doesn't work long term when we are on someone else's platform.

The most consistent external platform I have found that works for me is Meetup.

Still getting new people to join, show up ... and still growing.

Psst... don't tell Meetup, plz.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
One of the goals though is to leverage other peoples platforms for the visibulity and list building, bringing them into MY world. I own them if they're on my email list.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Email lists .... I find them cumbersome ... time consuming ... and not all that effective either.

How do you make your email list work for you?

Do you mind jumping in if I create a new thread on that?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
Of course!
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

I am sitting in a presentation on Periscope. Should I periscope the guy teaching ppl how to periscope?
Post 30 • IP   flag post
24973 66 30
destitute