BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBrainstormingBusiness AdviceFeedbackMotivation

Making a Product or Marketing it? Which is..830

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Which is harder? Making a great product or marketing the product?

What's harder? Preparing great content? Or getting people to consume it?

I have been on both ends ... not a few time.

Giving a people a reason to be in the room is critical.

Getting the people in the room is terribly difficult.

Which do you think is harder ... building the great product or getting the people to use it = marketing?

Marketing is harder...imho.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I suspect one of the problems with marketing (or consumption) is that many products are simply not great and thus the effort required to market increases.

If you create a truly great product, the marketing will be easier since the product (proverbially) sells itself. If you write truly great content then the content itself is the reason to consume it.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Can you think of an example of anything that sold itself?

I can't.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew

If you want to be pedantic about it, then of course not. However, in the general sense, and in the context of my post, "sells itself" refers to the organic spread of the desire to purchase that some products seem to enjoy while others do not.

You might argue that it is not necessarily a better designed product (or presentation) but I would suggest that the product itself plus the initial launch equates to organic distribution or "selling itself".
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Not trying to be contrary.

Everything needs some level of marketing ... even if it starts with my mom telling your mom.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Perhaps it involves the difference (is there one?) between professional marketing and organic marketing...

And I wasn't thinking "contrary", rather "precise".
Post 6 • IP   flag post
26084 6 6
destitute