BillBelew.com
BrainstormingContent CreationEditingOrganic SearchSEO Advice

Started new PC Article site have questions851

Member TJYanke private msg quote post Address this user
So first here is my Site: https://pcvipclub.wordpress.com

I just had a couple questions.

Firstly is it even possible to show up on google without custom domain and hosting. I have a domain I am just waiting for hosting.

Secondly I know I need a bit of work in terms of article quality and still quite a bit of work on the website, but if you could say 1 thing that my website needs to improve what would it be?

In the beginning I don't really care about bringing in a lot of money, the banner ad is up to pay for hosting.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. In time you will show up in search regardless of where you write at.

It can take few months to get pure organic results. If you tell a lot if people and they come and some think your content good enough to link to and they do...you will get found in search sooner.

if you are serious you will get your own self hosted site.

One thing? Better titles.

Which monitor is better?

Far too generic.

Which monitor is better as desk top add on?

Which monitor is better to connect with XYZ laptop?

And so on.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Thanks so much Bill, I was doing it general because it is pretty general. I explain the types of monitors and what refresh rate, response time, resolution, panels and a lot more.

But i like your idea of getting more specific, i'll start doing that from now on.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@TJYanke

You can always go back and edit.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
You're not going to like this, but perception is everything and when I look at your website I'm not getting any triggers to make me want to read or do anything except leave this website as fast as I can.

content marketing is more than just producing bucket loads of content, it's highly competitive with everyone fighting for an audience ...

So ensure you are giving your audience the perception of you and you business that you want, then back this up with loads and loads of content ...

I posted the above about another post, but it fits here also ...
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Oh I understand rev I have been working though, I only do my article stuff in the morning. Also to steve, this is only 2-3 days (an hour or two a day,) worth of worth. I am still working on what I want the website to look like and where I want to do my articles. I was just bringing out the articles so when That was all figured out I had a backlog of articles so it looked more legit.

But again I appreciate the advise, I want to model off of PC Gamer's website, however I don't have the tools to do that yet. I am looking for inspiration on different designs but at the moment im mostly limited by the tools i currently have.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@TJYanke

Fancy, elaborate, design certainly is cool, but it isn't required. Good, well written, content is.

We all make typos and mistakes from time to time but, if you are going to write for a living -- and that is just what content marketing is -- then you need to use reasonable grammar and know the words you are trying to use.

Get a good style book, like:

- Anne Stilman: Grammatically Correct

- Susan Thurman: The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need

- William Strunk Jr: The Elements of Style

- Alicia Abell: Business Grammar, Style & Usage
Post 7 • IP   flag post
I wrote the articles pretty fast so I could see what they looked like on different templates. Hopefully grammar wasn't too big of an issue, as that is actually my current career.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@TJYanke

There is where you are and where you might want to be at some time.

Many of us here have been where you are.

Keep asking. Take what you can when you can. By all means, keep us apprised of your progress. I, for one, am interested.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@TJYanke

What @Belew says! And we are interested. We wouldn't bother to comment or push if we weren't. A friend of mine often said, "If you want to learn how to make money, take a rich person to lunch. And listen." The same concept applies to anything else you want to learn. Bill isn't a bad place to start listening.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Oh no I appreciate this a lot. I really loved the advice I got, I know I am early into the game. But that was a mistake I made when I got my first book published. I wrote an entire book and realized I did it completely wrong, and had to rewrite the whole time. So my next book I wrote one chapter and went to a critique group and got it torn apart. But it helped in so many ways.

This article site is more for fun than it is for money. I have to answer a ton of tech related questions day to day, so I decided I would write articles answering those questions then just link my articles when asked. The other articles are more for fun.

But even with a hobby it's best to get advice.

I am taking Bill Belews advice, but I am likely going to rewrite that monitor article completely later and make the whole article more specific.

Rev I am taking your advice by slowing down and double checking my grammar, even if it's a hobby i should still take it seriously.

Steve didn't really give any advice he just said my website looked bad. So I don't really have a direction to take that other than to try other templates and edit them differently.

I understand it is early, I just feel it's better to get advice early so I don't make years of mistakes and bad articles. Again I really appreciate the advice.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@TJYanke

Don't underestimate what @Steve said. There is a wealth of advice in and between those lines.

I've posted this video elsewhere in this group but I'll post it again for you. If you haven't watched it yet, take the 50 minutes or so that it runs. You're young yet. You can afford it. Whether or not you agree with Eben, and many don't, it will at least open your eyes to a line of critical thinking. That, in itself, is worth the time.

Post 12 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
what @Rev said...

Let me give you a little more ... if you have Google Analytic installed on your website, check your bounce rates regularly... your aim is to make this decrease over time.

A High bounce rate indicates.

1. Your content isn't of interest to your audience.
2. The presentation of your content is turning people away.

A high bounce rate could indicate one or both of the above ...
Post 13 • IP   flag post
29382 13 13
destitute