BillBelew.com
Business AdviceContent Marketingemail

How Do You Make Your Email List Work for You861

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank and I are discussing the effectiveness of periscoping in another thread.

We ventured in to the end game of getting people on your own email list.

I wondered out loud ... does email work?

How do you make your email list work for you?

I have never been too good at it.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
When someone asks me what they should do to be successful online I often say, you know the people in your niche that are successful don't you? Well go look at what they are doing and go do the same with your own twist.

Now... ask yourself how many people that influence you online, have an email list?

And no matter who your influencer is, chances are they have an email list ...

How do they make it work... engagement, engagement, engagement.

In the late nineties prior to coming to live in Australia I built my newsletter up to just under 30,000 opt-in subscribers ... there was loads of interaction and business as a result ...

Nowadays people are hardened by the amount of emails we all receive ... this means you have to give value, stick to a schedule and make your audience want to read what you send them.

By doing this, you can take someone that has visited your site just once and signed up on a journey that results in them becoming a loyal customer ... without the list, you are working with a limited tool-set as you are insistent on them visiting your website again and again and again.

How do I make it work ... know your audience and test everything.

By understanding this you know.

1. Content - you know the content your audience wants and what will make them open your newsletter... check your open rates and work on increasing this number.

2. Click through - know your numbers

3. learn what content generates leads.

You then have to learn how to make all this info work, for instance you cannot simply include all articles that tend to generate leads ... as you have to lead people through the sales funnel and this might take lots of other content ... and that is perhaps a whole thread in itself...

The joys of content and how to manipulate people with it ..
Post 2 • IP   flag post
I belong to zero email lists. And when I do get an email that I didn't sign up for I unsubscribe and report it as spam.

I will sign up for a few RSS feeds that I have opted in which is similar.

Better than email, imho, is for people to opt in to receiving your feed from your website. But that requires it's own strategy and thread here.

You can't ask people to like, share, buy and subscribe all at the same time. If you do, chances are they won't respond to any of them.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
"You can't ask people to like, share, buy and subscribe all at the same time. If you do, chances are they won't respond to any of them."

Why can't you ? I do?

Blog posts all have share button ...
Pop-up email list builder...
Inquiry forms and purchase now options...

I think of it like this...
some people prefer to come to my website for updates, some won't come back that often but will subscribe to a newsletter ... very few people will purchase in one visit so you need to touch them often... the above two cover this as do the shares add in some social media marketing.

Basically I aim to be wherever my audience is ... in whatever format they choose ... email is just another format... another way or repurposing content if you like.

My own newsletter goes out three times per week, it allows me to break down buyer reluctance and convert those on the fence into customers ... it also gets shared and forwarded onwards ...
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Steve

This is a philosophical difference. Not that you and I have ever disagreed before, eh? 8-)

Ask people to one thing and some will.

Give people options and most will be paralyzed and do nothing.

I prefer to focus on one CTA and pound on it and it alone...depending on the medium, of course.

I may ask people on Twitter to do one things, where I ask visitors to my blog to do another, and LI readers another.

But in each case... I give them one choice.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Ok lets look at your blog...

They have an option to contact you and make an inquiry or come to this forum.

Those are the two options... yes?

Now what happens if someone isn't ready to contact you and doesn't want to participate in a forum?

Are you expecting that person to come back when they are ready to contact you?

or

As in my case, is it not better to get such people onto an email list and then sell to them over a much longer period ...

@Belew ... us disagree ... oh never ... lol
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Steve

At my blog my aim is to keep them on my site ... either at billbelew.com ... where/when they read something they can contact me ... or not.

Or they can click around ... to another blog or to this forum where I can engage them ... or not.

I am of the opinion that if I tried to get them to like, share, twit, puff, pow or sign up ... I'd get a poorer performance.

I got a request to send an eBook today. And another sent me their phone number and asked me to call them.

In the last month BillBelew.com sent on average 2 new people/day to the forum ... and, drum roll, please, 13 people/day who were repeat visitors.

My goal ... keep them on the site as long as possible and keep them coming back on their own volition.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
And as much as I hate to admit this ... 8-)

The 3rd biggest sender of visitors to my site (and growing) is your beloved Twitter.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Strange ... with my approach Google is secondary as I get more visitors from Social Media ...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Yup, I know that about you.

Here is the last week of stats to the forum.

Twitter is number 4 ... in engagement as in time on site.

Number of Google visits is equal to number of Twitter visits ... almost. But time on site from search is 4x that as time on site from social media.

People who come looking engage more than people who are told to go look.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Just to give a comparison of sorts ...

the most interesting one here for me, is the direct one, this means people have typically bookmarked my site and are returning ...
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Member fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, email works, IF your audience is targeted. I helped guide the content writers of an email list and did research.

One email that we sent out raised over $1.2 million cash in the bank and another $500K pledged - overnight. The email list had 1.6 million good, verified email addresses. Our mailing that raised the overnight money targeted around 60,000 people.

We picked a specific subset of our email list generated by a query through our database. The emails were personalized. The key is to have as much data on your people as possible; likes, dislikes, subjects they are interested in, subsets of that information, etc.

There are direct and indirect ways to gather info specific to your people, but that is for another discussion.

BTW, free email accounts generally are good for around 6 to 9 months before they are abandoned. Yes, there are exceptions: I have had my AOL account since AOL started and have had my Gmail account for a little over 10 years.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
How much were the servers to maintain those 1.6 million good emails?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
Those emails and full data were less than 1% of our customers. We were an email house that specialized in targeted emails (Columbia House, L.L. Bean, etc.). The total infrastructure cost around a million dollars, including firewalls and database software.

We cleaned around 2.5 million email addresses to get the 1.6 million on a 4-processor server that cost around $7K in 2000.

You could handle the database and mailer functions for this size yourself on a dual-processor or quad-processor server today. The mailing to all addresses would take about 20 hours, depending on your internet speed connection (1G recommended).

If you have a couple of days to do that size mailing, a slower internet speed could be used.

I would recommend someone like Mail Chimp if you have a huge mailing. Also doing a list this size opens you up to SPAM complaints. We had a lawyer on call for threatened shutdowns for SPAM complaints despite a double-confirmation to get on the email lists.

Stay away from purchased email lists, those people do not stay around for long as they are usually offered a perk (free software, etc) to sign up for an email list.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Member karenyank private msg quote post Address this user
I hear you Bill, but I still think email lists are the most valuable tool in a business that's marketed online.

The bigger your list, the lower the open rate, or at least that's been my experience for myself and my clients.

And I agree with Steve, it allows me a funnel. So for instance, I'm doing a free webinar on Thursday. I do two per month, and usually have 200-300 people attend. While it's a great list builder, more importantly, it's part of the funnel for my existing list members. It takes them through more valuable content to a CTA to a paid offering.

It gives me more measurable control over what happens when someone decides they're interested in what I have to say.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
Tks Karen now I have a goal as far as webinar numbers are concerned ... this first one, is a push to get traction on, although it is slowly happening ...
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
So many companies resort to purchasing lists (data.com comes to mind. I feel that this is a small minded and lazy approach to feeding the funnel but tactic that business fall on out of desperation or to cover the sins and stain of a failed content marketing play (better word strategy). How does an effective email campaign work in an industry with a long lead time and overarching content push to sales lead approach?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
It looks like you answered your own question: "...tactic that business fall on out of desperation."

Buying email lists rarely work, and I have seen that first-hand. Well-qualified leads that have been vetted by list sellers are marginally effective, but developing your own always produces results as long as you know their demographics and likes & dislikes

I would concentrate more on what is wrong with the content of the messages the company was sending.

@lunar_ranger, could you define "a long lead time and overarching content push" for me?
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Member brandnub private msg quote post Address this user
@fredhoot @steve

that is painful (for me!!)

I have a product which has some good competition but each of my competition (irrespective of how small) has several customers. I opened it up for free to signup. Still having trouble having people sign up.

http://brandnub.com (about a month old!)

What am I doing wrong? Slack, Tinder, Meerkat . . . come and star my report tweets (of them everyday)! Hinge is one of the popular ones who signed up. Walmart starred their report. Find some good hits on the site . . . but my frustration level is growing high.

I have almost out of the door a webpage, where one can either provide a url or paste content and it will semantic analyze - emotional analysis (not just positive or negative sentiment!) using a library, english language parsing, artificial intelligence and all that garbage!!

Intend to add that logic into brandnub to make it better than competition (heard from many advertisers that they are looking for it) - but no one is coming (ok, a few, but I want more) :-(

@jycmba helped me think through but I am still failing!! Help!!!!! What should I do?
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@brandnub

You write in English, but I don't understand what you say.

semantic analyze, emotional analysis, negative sentiment, parsing...

Tell me in 10 words or less how what you serve up can change my life ... avoid at all cost adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, articles and conjunctions.

Make it clear what you can do ... make it easy for me to have you do it ... make it possible for me to find you.

What's my desire? What's my problem? How can you fix it?
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@belew

Good assignment :-)

brandnub can take all incoming content - blog feedback, media / PR about you / brand, tweets & mentions, facebook posts, appstore & play store reviews . . . anything anyone tells about you, your brand or products -

And can convert that into - How is your product / brand perceived

It can visually show you what does your fans / users "FEEL" about your product (and can drill down into exact info) and how that has been changing over a period of time.

It can also show you how your competing product or brand is perceived.

If there was a campaign that was run (ex. webinar), then it can show how you were perceived before the webinar and what changed after it. In fact, it can also track how your competition was perceived before your webinar and how was your competition after your webinar. And vice versa, if your competition runs a promotion.

Some items are quantifiable (ex. mentions, likes . . . ) and some are not (ex. perception of your brand, what they say, what media said . . .)

What brandnub can do is collect all the different items together and help you see them as a whole and respond to them individually or as a whole.

Does that make sense?

One of those who said they will use the product called it - social listening and response planner.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@belew

trying shorter version now -

What is it:
Listens to all online activity about your brand and provides you a picture of current state (and how it changed over time). Actionable insight - what are good retweets (you can automate it to); what needs to be responded to . . . It will learn based on how you interact / work.

Desire & fix:
It is difficult to keep track of all sounds about you and difficult to reduce noise. So anything that can give you the sound without noise (information without fluff) will save you time to respond.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@brandnub

you are getting closer but still far too wordy...imho.

What do I want?
Why can't I have it?
How do you solve this for me?

10 words or less.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@belew

What do I want?
Track and analyze conversations about your company / brand and your competition. Respond to the important conversations in a timely fashion.

Why can't I have it?
It is time consuming to monitor the all channels and conversations. Identify what requires action among the mountain of information is extremely time consuming.

How do you solve it for me?
We track all channels for conversations about you and your competition. Provide insight on how to respond, while allowing the brand manager to override the default behavior / suggestion. Increase customer engagement by responding to the conversations appropriately.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@belew

We monitor conversations about you and your competition and save you time by providing you actionable insight on how to respond to the conversations.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@belew

Working on making the one liner into a better marketing statement.

A big THANK YOU :-)

Would you say it differently? Your advice?
Post 26 • IP   flag post
29612 26 26
destitute