BillBelew.com
BacklinksBloggingContent CreationContent MarketingSEOWordPress

Shopify vs Wordpress for Blogging867

Member Addy_walls private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Fellas,
I just launched my ecommerce store and got some great advice on this forum to start writing a blog to generate organic traffic. I am currently using shopify for my store but seems like they do not have a good blogging platform. I am inclined to use wordpress for blogging but concerned about the face that shopify would not allow the blog to be pointed to my store subdirectory. So my questions are:

1) What do you guys think about using a subdomain for blog instead of subdiretory? How much impact does it have on SEO?
2) Is it worth using shopify platform just to have the blog under subfolder mysite.com/blog?
3) If I use a subdomain, is it better to use subdomain for blog or for the store . ie blog.mysite.com or store.mysite.com

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Addy_walls

How many SKUs do you/will you have?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Addy_walls

I have never done ecommerce so I have no firsthand experience.

However,those I know will use WordPress and install a plugin such as WooCommerce and keep full control on their site.

That is what I would recommend.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Addy_walls, it's doable. I had a shopping cart based upon Magento and made it work both ways and was able to dominate page one with my product and location. However, that was back in the 2008-2009 time frame.

The blog in the cart was clumsy. When using Wordpress, I had both linked to one another referencing the product in the store and visa versa.

As @Belew says, search engines are stupid. They are looking for text and they just scooped up the text, product and all. I had back links (not purchased) pointing at the data.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member Addy_walls private msg quote post Address this user
I am planning to have about 50 skus in my store. Most of these would change infrequently with few udpates now and then.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
28672 5 5
destitute