BillBelew.com
Organic SearchSEOSEO AdviceWordPress

domain.com/blog or blog.domain.com875

Member dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks

I remember from my struggle with WP Multisite that google sitemap tool was not working for our blog when the WP blog was installed at blog.domain.com. I had to use Domain.com/blog

But that was more than 2 years ago. I am hearing that Google does not distinguish where the content is located on the domain being ranked. Is that true?

Where do you guys you blog? Is it domain.com/blog or blog.domain.com?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

Remember that Google indexes pages, not websites or domains.

A URL is a URL is a URL. While they are indeed entirely different things and there are other reasons for using one over the other in some instances, from an SEO perspective there is no difference between blog.domain.com and domain.com/blog.

If you are using WordPress for your website and your blog, there is no need to put the blog on a separate URL. Just assign the blog to a page in the website and you're good to go.

If you are running some other software for your website you should first think long and hard about switching to WordPress. You'll almost certainly gain SEO capability just for making the switch and you will be managing only one website platform for both the website and the blog. That can be a real plus. With the right theme you can emulate any website you may have now and with 301 redirects you can retain all the SEO weight you have accumulated.

If you decide not to do so then you can put your separate blog on either the sub-domain or the sub-folder. The sub-folder is part of the parent domain. The sub-domain is, in essence, a separate domain unto itself and can have all the features and service, like it's own cPanel, that any other domain might have. You should consider your needs now and going into the future.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dmortaz

What @Rev says.

Either will do.

I use .com/blog.....
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Neither. Though I have WordPress in a folder, I redirect so it looks like in the root.

see http://medicarefivestars.com
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I would stick with a /directory structure.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@lunr_ranger

Can you share your reasoning?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member dmortaz private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Rev, the company is saying they plan to host the actual domain on Amazon.com and claim it's "difficult" to set it up the WordPress blog under domain.com/blog. They are running another promotional campaign with another hosting company that has hijacked the DNS settings. I suspect that might have something to do with their decision to avoid setting up the blog under domain.com/blog.

But I want to publish in the right location the 1st time and don't need to fuss with moving posts and 404 errors.

There is a plugin I have used that logs the actual sitemap that is scanned by Googlebot, so I will be able to tell if the blog posts at blog.domain.com are being picked up or not.

I remember distinclty that we ran into problems with the blogs under blog.domain.com when I was tinkering with WP Multi-site (WP Network). It was not being scanned by Googlebot, so I dropped it. But that was 2 years ago and perhaps it's been fixed since then.

Thanks for sharing your insights.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
29181 7 7
destitute