BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationMotivationNetworking

What do you like most about where you live?881

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I live just minutes from many of the Internet behemoths. Google, Yahoo, Apple, LinkedIn, Facebook. ...

Today two buddies and I are having lunch at Google and hearing firsthand what Google ' s latest in cloud computing is.

We often get to hear things first in our area. I wouldn't call this what I like most but it is worth while.

What do you like abt where you live?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
9millionairess private msg quote post Address this user

What I love most about where I live (the house) is the quiet and the peacefulness. Also, I live on a cul-de-sac and Vino and Lukas are very comfortable and safe. Now the town is alright but nothing that I am going to write about.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Tashagabrielle private msg quote post Address this user
What I like most about where I live is that it's far enough from central Montreal that it's not overly crowded with people and traffic 24/7 but that this fact doesn't compromise my proximity to places like shops, movie theatres and restaurants either. Montreal is one of the world's cultural capitals and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

I live in a suburb of San Jose (yes, I know the way). I am also a 45-minute drive to San Francisco in one direction and another 45-minute drive to the Pacific Ocean beaches of Santa Cruz.

I have never been to Montreal. I lived in Buffalo, NY for a short while and visited Toronto often. I went to Ottawa once ... but now I am bummed to not have made it as far as Montreal.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
I'm like Bill. In the Silicon Valley. I got to visit Google campus once, but honestly have never lunched there. But I love being just a 45 minute drive away from SF, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, etc. I also love being close enough to Stanford to attend their free lectures or take their continuing ed classes. Years ago, they offered something called "Mini Med" -- which alas, they have never presented again -- where you could listen to lectures from Stanford med school professors. I was blown away by their brilliance -- not just because they know their stuff (of course I expect them to), but because they were such excellent, engaging speakers!

I like the variety of grocery stores, like Whole Foods and Asian grocery stores.

Like the weather here too -- though we really could use a lot more rain -- anyone listening to this? This is a plea!

There's much, much more I can say about how fabulous this area is, but it will get too long. Thanks for letting me share this and giving me the opportunity to better appreciate what I have here -- because the truth is, I often forget.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@mcc

Keep an eye out here and I will let you know the next time we lunch at Google ... going there today. And you are welcome to come along.

I was there last month for an update on the Google News platform. I used to be very interested in what Google is doing in news. Not so much anymore.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Thanks for the kind offer, that's great!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Belew I'm sorry to have bummed you out, that really wasn't my intention. You should definitely pay us a visit one day, there's awesome shows, restaurants and sights... especially in the summer time due to our numerous festivals. Let me know if you're ever either thinking about coming eastward or in the area and I would be happy to either show you around or plan your stay!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm... Kansas... miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Where the world is still flat and evolution is still "just a theory".

Ummm... "Peaceful" ???
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Atwater, CA. Seriously, has anyone heard of Atwater, CA? Well, I plan on blogging about Atwater, CA. Maybe as soon as tomorrow.Psych
Post 10 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
What I love is safety issue and the convenience of public transport.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
When I moved to San Jose, I brought a snow shovel with. I kept driving on I-80 West and stopped in San Jose and someone asked me what that thing was, I knew I was in the right town.

Good thing that happened, otherwise you would have heard a big splash.

You don't need to go to a chain for great food. My wife and I go to the restaurants in San Jose's Japan Town all the time. MaMa Chen is on Steven's Creek Blvd. Greek restaurant in Willow Glen make a heck of an omelet. It has rich history from the 1700's. Visit centuries old missions.

It's a big change for me from growing up in an area where you can count people per square mile on one finger.

I have met so many wonderful people in the San Jose area. That is what I like the most.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

I haven't been to Montreal for several years now, but every time I have been there (several times) I have simply loved the city, the people, and the surrounding area. The modern and the old, world class art and entertainment, great caf├ęs and restaurants, breath-taking views and architecture -- a truly amazing place!
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

how kind of you to offer. Who knows? I still have friends in the Buffalo area. Maybe... Just maybe.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew

Ah! Buffalo... Genesee beer and the Bills!
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Yeah... I spent a year there one week.

Or it was a week that felt like a year.

Actually it was a year ... and that was plenty long enough.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

I visited Montreal once and loved it! I want to go back there again one day.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
I would love to visit Canada and Montreal sounds like a great place to start.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
New York is on my bucket list.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
Horseshoe Falls and went on the Canadian side. Got wet walking underneath Niagara Falls.
I'm in Cupertino at 280 and Wolf. I LOVE the gritty concrete dust from the buildings Apple ground up and that ruined the paint job on my car. The breeze blows and it seeps under your shirt - I LOVE not paying a dermatologist for skin abrasion. I LOVE the 40-story-high pile of dirt that is growing by the day. I believe they have something buried deep underneath that which will protect it from a direct hit with an atomic bomb. Maybe a real flying saucer in addition to the flying saucer building. At night I LOVE the 2-1/2-foot shadows that run over the top of that pile. We need a few thunderstorms in California to get us from out of the drought which I LOVE. I would LOVE a tornado to move that dirt pile to the Alviso dump but, alas, we are not in Kansas anymore. That's what I
Post 20 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user

Don't think I need to say a word ...
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Ericka private msg quote post Address this user
I'm from NYC and loved visiting Montreal! I'm in the suburbs of Atlanta, Ga now and love the much lower cost of living and the country-type living. This is our 3rd hse in a cul-de-sac and can't see living any other way. We took a many loads to French Camp, Ca and spent a lot of downtime in Lathrop. I could live there with no problem! Awesome weather :-)
Post 22 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I live in So.Florida (Ft.Lauderdale area).Theres always a beach at least 30 minutes to 3 hours away in Florida (depending on traffic conditions). Lots of variety, great food, colorful people, lots of travel opportunities, and the fishing and boating is AMAZING.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

my son did school for a bit at Indian River. I know the area a little.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger man, I haven't been to Ft. Lauderdale in over a decade but, from what I remember, it was absolutely beautiful
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Last time I was in Ft. Lauderdale was a personal pilgrimage to tour the haunts frequented by Travis McGee -- starting at Bahia Mar Marina, of course. I was amazed by how many of the places McDonald wrote about were the same (only different) and I could actually find them. You gotta love a great writer.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger @Rev

Last time I was in Ft. Lauderdale I looked at the airport in my rear view mirror and drove straight thru - 1500+ miles, 23 hrs, to Buffalo, NY ... stopping only momentarily 5 or 6 times to buy gas.
Post 27 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I ever go to Australia Perth when I was in my teens.
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@tienny Did you see @Steve when you were there?
Post 29 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I got close to Australia many years ago. My wife at the time was invited to teach in AU in 1975. Teach one year, get salary plus round trip. Teach two years, get salary plus two round trips.

And we had no idea where we would have ended up. Probably Bullfinch.

So here I am tagging along. When we met the consulate in San Francisco, he was not happy with my wife working and me having fun.

Visa rejected.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26125 33 30
destitute