BillBelew.com
AnalyticsContent CreationFeedbackProductivity

Do You Abandon Content When It's Too Long?892

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
What's the first thing you do when you click and open a link to something you want to read?

If you are like most people, you will scroll down to see how long it's going to take to read the article.

When was the last time you abandoned an article/post thinking, "I am not going to read all that?"

Or when did you stop reading a seemingly interminable article?

Or when did you close out a page on your mobile phone because, well, it was just too much to digest while reading on a small screen?

I get it ... there's room for long-form content.

I get it more ... there's better reason to be concise.

Thoughts?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
Content needs to be divided into logical and clean segments. If there is a lot of data the reader will need the right cognitive breaks in between to pause, reflect, think. Sometimes its better to serialize it.

@Belew I have abandoned reading fluff pieces passing off as long blog posts. If you have to put yourself in the position where your reader is going to be "rewarded" for their patience...you're failing. People want to learn but their eagerness and will-will fail if there isn't a compelling reason to continue. The best content I have read has had emotional resonance, engagement checkpoints, and of course great information.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

If the content doesn't serve the query ... I hit backspace or delete.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
It's difficult for me to get past the fold. Above the fold needs to be good.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel Yeah, its pretty easy to tell when you're going to ditch in the first few paragraphs.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

The first 100 words....
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
I seemingly strive to religiously and dutifully browse the opening paragraph or paragraphs for exceedingly concise, superbly succinct, beautifully brief, amazingly terse and summarizing prose which will whet my voracious appetite and eclectic interests so that I may dynamically increase my knowledge for such trivial and nontrivial tidbits gleaned from such aforementioned paragraph or paragraphs while avoiding all semblance, appearance and/or resemblance, large or small, to fluff.

Any transgression of this results in my hitting the DELETE key or clicking on that funny X In The Box.

Thus concludeth the lesson, Grasshopper.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@fredhoot

Dang it. Where's that delete button when I want it?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@fredhoot, you may want to consider raising your standards a bit.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Member fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
@morrnel, that's one of the reasons I joined this forum...
Post 10 • IP   flag post
28696 10 10
destitute