BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksBusiness AdviceConferencesFeedbackPublic Speaking

What Will You Be Teaching 6 Months from Now?899

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
My experience is when someone starts by saying, "I may be wrong but ..." is that they are usually right.

I think I may really be wrong but I have this sense that everything is changing really fast online. There is always new information, new case studies, new research ... and that whatever it is I know now will be outdated in 6 months.

Consequently it becomes difficult if not impossible to plan a curriculum for an event 6 months from now.

But is that really the case? I am asking here. That's not a rhetorical question.

At what point do you think that the speaker's info is outdated?

Does the online world really change that fast? Does what we know now become outdated in 6 months or even a year or more?

I have to send in an outline today for a seminar I will be doing in Shanghai in November (5 months away) ... and I find myself reluctant because of a perhaps unfounded fear that what I propose now will not be useful then.

Is my fear unfounded?

Suggestions?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@belew

Don't speak to content. Speak to purpose.

A good friend told me many times, "Set your goals in concrete; draw your plans in the sand."

It applies here, "Set the purpose in concrete; rest the content on sand."

I may be wrong, but from what I see, ::giggle:: you tend to be a down-to-the-wire kind of guy. You will be tweaking the content six months from now anyway. The purpose will still apply.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

For two people who have never met, you know me quite well.

I do prepare in advance. I was one of those guys who got their term papers done in the 3-4th week of a 12-week course. Then made changes at the end.

Same with my presentations.

I aim for the evergreen substance of a seminar ... and try to add the up-to-date facts/changes in the world around us to drive it home when the seminar date approaches.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Consider Dale Carnegie's book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Published October 1936.

It's as relevant today as it was then, perhaps more. It has been updated. The words, "In the Digital Age" has been added for the 2012 edition.

In both cases being disrespectful to someone is the same whether it is with pen and paper or with an email.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@morrnel

Consider the Bible..and its relevance.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
And it doesn't need to be updated.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Isn't the bible the best piece of content marketing ever?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I taught a class on Jesus as the best content marketer ever. After a time no matter where he went or what he did the crowds CAME to him. You need real good content for that to happen.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I once used cave paintings as the earliest known examples of content marketing ... but I've never run a class about Jesus and anything ... lol
Post 9 • IP   flag post
26104 9 9
destitute