BillBelew.com
BloggingContent MarketingOrganic Search

How Important are Blog Comments?901

karenyank private msg quote post Address this user
What are your thoughts on the importance of Blog comments? I've been getting more organically, which is awesome. I do belong to a few Facebook groups that are designed to promote commenting on each others blog posts, so if I add a link to my blog for comments I have to comment of 4 others or something like that.

It's SO time consuming, I haven't done it lately, but wondering if it's an important piece to this puzzle. When I do participate in those groups I get 10 or more comments on my blog. BUT, they're really of no use to me except if there's an SEO benefit, they're just commenting as part of the process, not because they're interested.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I love the comments as feedback to my works - where to improve.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank

I would rather have comments from real and relevant people than backlinks.

When you receive comments that are organic and the commenter leaves a link to their site where relevant content exists you can see excellent results in the rankings.

However, if you have a closed group such that you speak of you will be found out. It's not hard for search engines to discover that the same group of commenters, determined by IP addresses is just moving around to one another's sites. In the end the comments will mean nothing and could harm you.

organic comments are great and very tough to manipulate. ...hence their value. Organic backlinks are tough but easier to manipulate than comments.

I recommend you get out of that group and disassociate yourself. If you have comments from non relevant sources then remove them.

Does this make sense?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Wow interesting. These groups are extremely popular in my entrepreneur circles, I must be in 4 or 5.

So what you're saying also is WHEN I comment on a blog post I should share a backlink where possible? Very few people do that on my blog posts.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

Yes. There is a name, an email address and a web link option.

They should all be used.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Oh I see, yes that is all populated on both ends, comments to my blog and when I comment on others.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank

Are you using WordPress? Do you have Akismet installed and activated?

Blog comments, book reviews, and other feedback, should only be placed, or accepted, when they are real. Don't solicit unjustified comments, reviews, likes, etc. or participate in schemes to receive them.

Like something because you like it. Review and comment accurately. If it's junk say so. If it is moving and descriptive make that point. When you like a page that has nothing on it to like, or give a five star review to a two star attempt at writing, you dilute the value of honest reviews and, ultimately, make the system worthless.

Sure, it's nice to have the numbers and the positive stroking but, the reality is, it is better to know the truth and be able to work on making it better. That's the path to success. Believing junk to be gold is the road to failure. Always seek, and offer, the truth.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@karenyank

What @Rev says.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@karenyank Friends helping friends seems like a great place to start, but you will need to rip off those training wheels at some point. Digital distance can be created between you and your intended audience when you pass comments around like-minded individuals confined in such groups that have that narrow focus and purpose. If you question if something has value just for a residual SEO effect the answer is always no.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

"... If you question if something has value just for a residual SEO effect the answer is always no."

Yup... you are right.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
26086 10 10
destitute