BillBelew.com
BrainstormingHumorMisc.

How Do You Keep Track of All Your Passwords?905

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I am dying here.

I have too many devices and accounts with too many different rules for passwords.

How do you keep track of what password goes where and when and with what account?

I am reviving an old PC (did a factory reset) and I cant get anywhere without getting a warning - you tried too many times idiot with the wrong password. You must now wait 30 minutes to try again ... or some such reminder that I really am an idiot.

Is there an easy way to keep track of passwords that I don't know about?

And please don't tell me I need to create an account somewhere that needs me to create yet another password that I have never used before.

Arghh!!!
Post 1 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
these are three solutions:

lastpass
roboform
1password

I've tried them, and I prefer lastpass for price-to-value.

It's a learning curve and a change in habit, so there will be frustrations. But at least they will be new and different frustrations.

D
Post 2 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
It's a big problem! I use 1Password for free. You just need to remember one password for that site and it will automatically create (or you can create it yourself) a password for you and remember it.

Or, if you want to do it a more old-fashioned way, you can create a word document and list all your passwords there. (Of course then you have to make sure the document is super secure.) You can type in what you want in "search," and you will be taken right to the password you're looking for.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

Thanks for the tip.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@mcc

That's 2 mentions of 1Password.

Thanks!
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Got to the Dollar Store. Pick up one of those little black pocket sized address books with the alphabetized tabs. Keep a hard-copy (geek for "written" list. Putting all your passwords on a third party online service is insanity. Keeping them on your computer is a little safer (maybe not) but what will you do after a drive crash?
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Rev

But what if I can't read my writing?

Or worse yet if I get lost?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
You can type them in a word document and print them out. Put the sheets in a binder, insert alphabetized binders. Write in code if you can, if not, place somewhere really secure.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Considering
- 40 cards and pins stolen from Target
- 53 million email address stolen from Home Depot
- 100 million taxpayer data and $39 million from IRS
means data and money is stolen through back doors. Thieves aren't interested in a password. Too much time.

When someone says your passwords are more secure with numbers and special characters, they are fooling themselves into a false security. Brute force computing power can have the password hacked in no time.

I don't loose too much sleep over securing my passwords. I use two password patterns on everything. One that touches money and the other that doesn't.

I started doing this around the time @Rev was born. 8-)

I have the list located in a place that I or someone who I trust has immediate access. Using something online means I need to remember another password to forget.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Seems like I am not the only person who deals with password frustration.

Dang those bad guys!!!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be very careful of using a password service ... lastpass got hacked recently...

http://lifehacker.com/lastpass-hacked-time-to-change-your-master-password-1711463571
Post 11 • IP   flag post
You guys are supposed to make this easier not harder....

How about we just do away with all the bad guys and forget about passwords? That might be easier long term.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
Post 13 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
For every measure in time there will be a countermeasure.. and soon after that a counter-countermeasure.. and so on..

All you can do is create delays with an escape hatch that allows you to get out as quickly & safely as possible.

In spite of the breach of LastPass I still prefer it over others - I'm sure there's plenty of hackers for each platform.

Let's face it; if you call yourself "security," you might as well paint a bullseye on your backside also!

Post 14 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I use Ms Access to keep track of my passwords sites.

Because I can keep track and retrieve the website passwords by category.

Then I copy to Ms Excel for easy access which I can carry in my smart phone.

Because smart phones can't view Ms Access. After I record in excel, I copy to Ms Access. So that I can sort it.

So same password for my Ms Access and Ms Excel files.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, and turn on Two Factor Authentication for whatever solution you choose.

d
Post 16 • IP   flag post
26130 16 16
destitute