BillBelew.com
BrainstormingBusiness AdviceHumor

What's More Reliable than Backspace for ...910

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
How many times have you filled in a form online that took not minutes, but 30 minutes or an hour or so, only to get to the submit button and had the thing go blanks on you?

5 Pages in and gone! Are you kidding me? I have to do this over? Look out! There goes my class of tea. Here comes the Panera manager to kick me out ... again.

Wait... the backspace. Maybe it's saved. Maybe I am saved.

Sure enough ... just hitting back space enough has saved me ... this time.

What do you do to keep from losing all the information you are creating while filling in forms?

Is there a better way than relying on the backspace?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
there are two solutions, and one problem:
problem: the programmer determines how data is stored temporarily, so it's up to him/her to use good practices.

solution1: save early and often. Of course, this is a problem if the form has no 'save' option.

solution2: lastpass, 1password, or roboform. These tools automate form filling, so if a page breaks, it's trivial to re-fill.

D
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Similar to solution 2 above, some browsers have form field memory so if you do have to go back to a blank form to start over you just type the first character and the full entry is offered to you. Not perfect but it speeds things up.

When I used to code lots of forms I always provided the option to return to the form with the fields filled with your last entries. You don't see that very often as it's a lot of extra work and most coders never use their own forms.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

Those are good suggestions. I was filling in a comprehensive form at another site. All the info was for that site only.

I logged in. Filled out the form. 45 minutes later I hit submit and was asked to log in again.

Sorry - that username is not recognized.

Huh? I used the username to get here.

Argh!!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

You gotta stop day dreaming. Most logins have a timeout. Chances are the guy that coded the long form never had a conversation with the guy who set the default timeout.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Re: daydream.. true. But when I hit submit or save it prompted me to login AGAIN. And I couldn't. Though I had to login to get started.

There's a disconnect between logging in, filling out, submit and being forced to login again and not being recognized.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
fredhoot private msg quote post Address this user
And sometimes using the back arrow wipes out your data.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to use Firefox a lot and have this installed

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/LazarusFR/?src=api

There is most likely a chrome version
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Steve Lazarus. I love the name.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew Even I go through the same problem

@Rev Even I tend to consider the users' needs when do the coding.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
26104 10 10
destitute