BillBelew.com
Content MarketingSEOSEO Advice

Let's talk about 400+ posts and 6 months911

Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
The first day I joined the forum I saw Bill's post declaring that 400+ posts and six months are needed to gain traction in free-range*, organic search.

Could y'all unpack that a bit for me? Are those numbers for a brand new domain with no domain authority, no content, nada?

If so, then do you have a recommended approach to conduct keyword research that would give those 400 posts a fighting chance of being ranked, say, 1 thru 10 in the Goog? Oh and could you include your favorite Keyword research tools, how you use them, and how you decide that one keyword is comparatively better than another?

Thanks!
-DonO

*Just kidding. I know the bits are all stored in little boxes run by granola eaters** at the GooglePlex. But wouldn't it be nice if they could stretch their little bitty legs?

**Full disclosure: I bake, then eat my own granola.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@dono2081

That's a lot of questions for one thread. 8-)!

Yes, you can start from zero.

To prove my point (to me, anyway) I offered to teach an MBA class for free and was granted permission (they paid me anyway)...

After 6 months, starting from scratch, on a white and black WordPress default template... students were able to get 3-5000 organic visits in their NICHE of choice.

We did NOT do keyword research.

I gave them basic guidelines for creating content. I encouraged them to match up similar interests and guest blog / comment on one another's sites. Then turned them lose.

It worked ... entertainment, travel, food, health, medical, sports, technology... their niche of choice.

And did I say we paid NOTHING, did NOTHING for the template?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Bill,

I'm so confused -- about everything -- life, the environment, meaning of life, etc. -- but I realize those are rather broad topics for this thread so I'll narrow it down to just being completely confused about blogs. Everyone seems to be able to get this except me. By the way, I don't have a blog. Not yet, anyway.

Okay, that's still rather broad. A specific question:

How many hours a week minimum would you have to put into your blog to write the number of posts that you recommend?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@mcc

That's a great question that I do NOT want to avoid.

But the answer depends on how hard you work, how efficient you are and what your goals are.

In the above example of my students ... they worked full-time.

My class was just another of their many tasks.

Most of them said they could do the require work in about 1-2 hours/day. With that effort they could complete 400 articles in about 4 months ... and got the results.

More than keyword research, we spent time on how to come up with ideas.

Does this answer your question?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Content marketing is hard work, there are no short cuts ... if you look online at blogs, you can count on your hand the number that are updated daily ... and those that are updated multiple times per day are even fewer.

The 4 months that #belew mentions is the minimum time before results start to show, most blogs take over 12 months before they are established properly ...

It's just not a short term game.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Yes, thank you! I was just wondering about how much time you'd have to put into your blog weekly -- once you had everything up online, of course. I'm sure there's a lot more work that goes in initially to get it started.

I agree, @Steve , it's hard work. I read somewhere that most blogs are abandoned, and of those that survive, very few make much money.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Add to that the hard time that @Steve put into creating his Twitter machine and that's double hard work.

@Steve has content that he can give to his mass at Twitter.

What good is content without someone to share it with?

What good is it to have a following if there is nothing to share?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@mcc

I can get you up and running in a couple of hours.

Too many get bogged down in getting everything 'just right' and consequently never get started.

For the first few months it doesn't matter what your site looks like. Nobody is coming anyway.

My students got their results on the default WordPress template and nothing else.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
OK got it.

Do y'all have any data that supports the theory that a website with greater domain authority, age, etc. could rank sooner with fewer posts?

And ...

@belew Bill -- your MBA group's traffic: that's 5,000 organic visitors a month, correct? And what was the time on site and # of pages visited?

That's true organic traffic, correct? And you filtered for referrer spam, etc.?

D
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@dono2081

Older sites can gain traction sooner.

yes. I have the data for time on sites and pages viewed. Real organic.

I did this experiment before the proliferation of spam bots.

Per month organic.

a lot also depends on if there is market to. You can't make people come if there is no interest to begin with.

and if you are competing with amazon it'll take longer to beat them.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Bill, I may want to talk to you some time. I'm tied down for a while. When did you say you're going to Shanghai?
Post 11 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@dono2081 Think of how spammers work, they buy a domain name and send spam... Google knows this and doesn't give preference to these new domain names until they have earned it...

It's more a priority thing that anything else, you will still get listed with a brand new domain name... it's just slightly easier to get listed better with an older domain name ... for the reason above...

See:

Post 12 • IP   flag post
@mcc Let's talk.

I don't go to Shanghai till November.

When is a good time? We can coordinate by inmail.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@Steve @dono2081

It's easy to get listed. It's harder to stay there.

Something like 80% of all new sites are abandoned in the 1st 3-4 months.

It makes sense to NOT give them priority in the rankings. Priority is earned by creating a lot of relevant and focused content.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@dono2081. If you need any help on the keyword research end of things let me know. I will teach you how to do it for yourself and it will take less time than you think to learn it. I love helping people and passing on my experience. Content marketing ie: great writing, thoughtful exchange and promotion will always prevail but its important to know how keywords, buyers intent, local, mobile and semantic search works.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Would you be interested in doing a webinar or Google Hangout on the topic?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew I might be interested in doing that. I have always done the one-on-one consulting thing and would have a hard time filling in time, for the sake of filling in time...I usually dive in and keep things short, sweet to the point- so it would be difficult but welcome challenge. Who would my audience be, what is their experience level?
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

We will announce it here...

It doesn't have to be long or short. Just long enough to get the point across.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
29714 18 18
destitute