BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationMotivation

Give me a coffee shop and I can touch the ..916

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It was Archimedes who said, "Give me a place to stand and I will move the Earth." Totally cool statement.

An axiom perhaps - "Give me a coffee shop (and a WiFi connection) and I can touch the world."

Seriously ... one of the things I love most about working online is the literal reach it gives. I know from analytics that literally someone from every country in the world has read something published in my network of sites.

In this forum alone, at last count, there are 20-ish countries represented.

My daughter is off school and I took her on a day trip some 3 hours from home...one way. She is playing with a friend we arranged to meet. And I am at a local coffee shop about a mile from the Pacific Ocean ... reaching out into the world.

I love this part about my job.

Where do stand/sit/go to reach the world?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
I'm usually at home because I'm at the beck and call of our two cats. But I love to work in coffee shops. I do my best writing and thinking there. Wish there were nice coffee shops in my area, but there aren't any.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew

Just as you added, in parenthesis, the WiFi bit to your own axiom, there is a bit missing, though implied, from the most popular translation of the Archimedes quote you present.

Earlier, and perhaps more accurate, translations extend it thus:

"Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world."

Without the WiFi (the lever) the coffee shop is, well, just a place to get a great cup of coffee. In a world full of glib one liners and misquoted axioms (see facebook, just about any group, for ample examples), we should remember the missing bits that make it all possible.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@mcc

I do well when there is 'noise' all around me.

The hustle and bustle of the lives of others helps me focus.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Rev You are right about the lever. I just forgot.

He needed the lever and a place to stand.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
It's all about having a place to stand, as the folks up on Ontario know so very well...

Post 6 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
I recall sitting in the back seat while traveling from Atlanta to Charlotte way back in the 90's working with a laptop and a motile phone using the tools currently available to me at the time.

The place and lever keeps changing but accomplishing the same.
Those were the days...
Post 7 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
@Rev, kewl. Why was I felt like I was listening to Mitch Miller or the like?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer to work at library. Less noise. I can't stand noises unless music. Different music instill different sensation. Probably a soundproof earphone helps. I am looking for one that suits me best.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
26104 9 9
destitute