BillBelew.com
AnalyticsOrganic SearchSEO Advice

How to Do Keyword Research Correctly924

lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew and I are planning on a 30 minute Google Hangouts jam session on keyword research (where I would be presenting)soon. There is a lot of information to digest, so I am hoping to do this in a few sessions. I am planning on structuring this as a basic overview and will go into greater complexity gradually, the more comfortable people feel the further we'll explore. I want to get to know everyone better (prepare yourself for a series of questions):

What is your past experience with keyword research?

What questions do you have about the keyword research process?

What are the biggest obstacles you are dealing with when selecting the "perfect" or "money" keyword?

What tools do you use to accomplish the task?

Whats the most important information you're looking for in reporting?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
I have never done keyword research.

Why do I or does someone need to do keyword research?

Do you have case studies of people who did do keyword research and got better results than for people who did not?

Is is keyword? or keywords? or keyword phrase?

Is there a give and take process you use with clients to come up with a keyword list that you can share?

Do you try to compete for competitive keywords or go for low-hanging fruit?

What tools do you use to track the effectiveness or lack of for keyword choices?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
If you are not asking yourself abt keywords what do you ask yourself to make sure your content is staying on target?

How do you know you are staying focused?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Belew All great questions.

Let me give you a glimpse about my keyword philosophy by touching on your questions:

Why do I or does someone need to do keyword research?

Keyword research is part of the behavioral economics of the internet. I see keyword research (real and aspirational) first as a journey of discovering who you are, second revealing how your audience seeks and discovers you-and those like you (and perhaps discovering who these people are-motivations, needs), and third as a way of discovering (topically and thematically) how you should be orienting your content-to orient and engage that real or perceived audience). If you aren't doing it your competition certainly is.

Is is keyword? or keywords? or keyword phrase?

All of the above. Single keywords are dumb- generic, non-focused and pointless, short-tail keywords (usually around 2-3 word) typically have a lot of search volume (but can be rather unfocused-and not capitalize on intent), long-tails-keywords that have 3 or more words but aren't necessarily phrases, less search volume, more intent targeted, keyword phrases- questions, formulated or fragmented sentences, less volume, more intent or need driven, device specific keywords- keywords in juxtaposition of device used- ie: x near/close y... user is likely using a mobile device to search for the information. Semantic search/suggest allows for creativity during selection.

Is there a give and take process you use with clients to come up with a keyword list that you can share?

Keyword selection too often becomes a barter between what the client feels possible and the reality of the matter, resources, time, competition. Setting realistic but stretching goals with the client makes sense- especially if you want a lasting relationship with them. Too many SEO clowns make unrealistic promises to their clients because: 1)They're more sales driven and don't think past a month (most outsource their work). A lot of agencies have efficient sales engines, and terrible fulfillment/best practices.
2)They're fearful of setting limits with their clients and themselves, have a hard time saying 'no', or acknowledging their personal, organizational limitations.

My process:
I like my clients, especially since I chose them. I would rather tell them that I cannot do something for them than set unrealistic expectations with them. Realistic, meaningful goals, goal posts, sufficiency teaching along the way, nice holistic approaches- slow burn.
I am not aggressive in my approach- but will not sacrifice enthusiasm and willingness to move things in the right direction.

I like to create a keyword cloud for both organic and paid search- they're related but have their own peculiarities. A keyword cloud combines a lot of different keywords long with their groupings, and dependencies. A mind map helps me to organize these. I help them with optimizing their copy (without making it feel that way).

Do you try to compete for competitive keywords or go for low-hanging fruit?

I work with their strengths, go after low hanging fruit, and help the client grow to reach the higher branches- it takes time, I want them to be the experts. If they're too lazy, distracted, apathetic- I insist that they have a foundational and working understanding of what they're getting, so no stupid surprises when causation or inactivity bites them in the ass (there is only so much the other guy on the receiver or in-box can do). SO we go after both in a way. With paid, the economics change significantly.

What tools do you use to track the effectiveness or lack of for keyword choices?

SEMRush, Moz, SpyFu, Searchmetrics, Majestic, Google Keyword Planner, so MANY tools.

If you are not asking yourself abt keywords what do you ask yourself to make sure your content is staying on target?

Understanding the themes and topics people are using to using to get to your site organically, and knowing what content people are engaging with when they respond, view, share, etc.

How do you know you are staying focused?

That's the best question your asked! It's extremely easy to get distracted and find yourself stuck somewhere down a rabbit hole. Organize your high level priorities for your site first, don't wander too far away your purpose. Your mind will evolve/change as time moves on, but you need to know who you are. You cannot be everything to everyone, be a better version of yourself without scrapping your identity.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Holy moly!

I wasn't expecting answers!!

I was supplying fodder, topic ideas for the Hangouts. There is so much you have to offer.

Very much looking forward to a Keyword Hangout series...if you are up for it.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
jewellswriter private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for the explanations, @lunar_ranger!! I also am looking forward to your Keyword Hangout series.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@jewellswriter Looking forward to doing it. What do you want to hear about?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
26100 7 7
destitute