BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationMotivation

Independence Day Reminds Me to Be Free from929

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
It's Independence Day weekend. Most have already started the celebration. Some haven't.

I am reminded that we as a country gained our freedom.

I ask, what is it that we, you, I are still enslaved to?

Nothing? Something?

What do you find yourself shackled to? A schedule, a routine, a relationship, a job, a desk?

One thing I surely love about my job is the freedom to pick up and go work wherever I want to.

My wife and I are in the very beginning stages of looking for a new place to live, closer to her new office where she hopes/expects to work for the next decade or so ... to cut way down on her commute. Somewhere closer to my daughter's school, too!

One thing we don't have to consider is my situation. I am free to go wherever, plug in and start working.

I love this freedom.

What do you love most about freedom? What would you like to be free from?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I want freedom from destructive thinking. I want freedom from complacency and the social machinations that reduce humanity and me to cattle. How does one balance the need for freedom, when we depend so much on one another, and political/social systems, for physical, emotional, social, and other means and the security which come from those things? Although physical bondage and slavery is still very much alive, the slavery of the 21st century is self-perpetuated social regulation and regimentation.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Wow! That's a lot deeper than I thought this thread would go. 8-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
When people are weak they're more easily controlled, you break a mans spirit by degree not decree.

I love that I have the freedom to make most choices by myself without outside interference.

I love the freedom that can be a byproduct of living in a safe and stable society.

I love the freedom, knowing that in American society success is often consequential of being smart and working hard.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

What's the strategy then to NOT be weak?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Being grateful. Being forgiving. Loving and serving others. Standing by your convictions.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Finding and steadfastly holding to unbending core values in a very relativistic world where toleration means "you must accept me even I don't accept you."
Post 7 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
It's good to stand by conviction instead of compliance. I'm lacking in this.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
26104 8 8
destitute