BillBelew.com
BloggingContent Creation

How do you set up a blog940

Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone got step by step instructions on how to set up a blog?

If now ... imagine someone that knows nothing about computers, etc, as being your audience, how would explain in details they would understand... how to set up a blog?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@Steve

What I would do for the absolute beginner is say,

1. Give me $X amount of money and I will set it up for you.

I am not trying to be facetious. That'd be easier than giving them step by step instructions.

I had a student who came to a class of mine. True story.

"I am so excited to get started blogging. I went out and bought a new computer. My problem is I don't know how to open it up the lid."

Me... "Well, first you need to turn it around."

She was trying to open up her MacBook from the back end instead if the front.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Curious, I was asked that question today on Twitter...

I directed the person here... obviously not quite the right place to send them ... unless they want to purchase a blog ...
Post 3 • IP   flag post
If they can use Twitter then they are not absolute beginners.

1. I send ppl to www.bm2hosting.com.

It's my resell act for godaddy. It's cheap and removes the need to shop around.

2. Buy a domain name.

3. Buy the absolute cheapest hosting they have.

4. Call the support number and ask them to walk you through installing WordPress.

Customer support is excellent.

5. Don't buy anything else.

6. Come to this forum and ask what to do next.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
I tried to make it as simple as possible..

Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba Above and beyond
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@Bill

Please don't sent beginners to Godaddy to set up a blog/hosting account! It's akin to sending your kitten across a busy street to get their dinner.

The best place for a person to start a blog on their own is WordPress http://wordpress.com/ -- it's a breeze to later upgrade, and move, from there to a self-hosted WordPress website.

It is better, of course, to start with a self-hosted WordPress site in the first place but that is a little more work for the beginner.

Here's a series of videos that might help:

Getting Started With WordPress
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev - I was going to say the same thing, but I've never migrated a blog myself.

Just curious what's involved with that.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Migration is very straight forward. There is an export function at .com ... Dashboard --> Tools --> Export. Save the output file to your computer.

Install WordPress... then Dashboard --> Tools --> Import. Follow the prompts. The import function has to be installed (a plugin) as it is no longer included with the base installation, but this happens as part of the process. Then provide the file you saved. This file contains the content but not the images. Lastly the process will ask if you want the images and, if yes (typical), it will retrieve them from the .com site.

Done.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
What's straightforward for you and I - I can see other folks getting stuck on "Go to Dashboard"! Wouldn't doubt that there's a market for "migrating my Wordpress website"!
Post 10 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

There's a market for almost anything.

My dad used to say, "You can put a bucket of manure on your front porch and sooner or later someone will buy it. Either because they want the bucket or they want the manure."
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I quite agree. "straight forward" was my comment to you, not someone with little or no computer/Internet experience.

@Belew

Exactly.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
OK- I have been intending on starting a new blog (already registered benonthebeach(dot)com)-and haven't done anything. How does one keep focused on one of those things without it descending into chaos, yet interesting and variable enough to keep different people entertained?
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

First step is to create a tagline.

What will the site be about in 10 words or less?

No adjectives, no adverbs, no prepositions, no articles and no conjunctions ... unless they are absolutely necessary... in 10 words or less.

Example - Growing up and parenting bi-cultural Chinese-American children in Silicon Valley. is the tagline to my daughter's site.

What will you be writing about in 10 words or less? Go!
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Easy as 1-2-3!

1 - what @Belew said.

2 - determine your audience; ie: who wants what you are going to offer, how will you reach them or how will they find you?

3 - determine the nature of your content. You use the word "entertained" -- is entertaining your end goal or just your delivery method? If the latter, you need to determine the former. Can you deliver either way?
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew I have a LOT of ideas, maybe I should stick to a couple, so I don't come off as a squirel with ADHD. Definitely should put more thought into the process...haven't formulated my thoughts enough for punchy or cogent tagline.

@Rev I want to target a business audience on one side and on the other side shoot the proverbial shit... I don't know if I should combine the two or if there should be different tones and themes for both.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

If you have a lot of ideas, you need more than one blog.

Ask yourself why you blog?

Are you trying to make money?

Don't care about making money.

If you don't care about making money it doesn't matter what you do.

If you do care about making money, find your focus.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew I would love to me a little residual income... but not come off that way. I have witnessed how bad it can be when people do it badly.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

If you provide something of value, there is nothing wrong with making some money from it.

It's when people sell something that isn't worth what they are asking that they 'come off that way.'

Don't worry about what others think. You can't control that.

Give something worthwhile ... and if it's worth your readers' while, you can eventually make money at it.

First ... decide your focus... create a tagline.

Don't worry about getting it exactly right. Just get something down and start writing.

Your tagline will morph, you will find your voice, you will get your direction.

But you can't change directions unless you are moving.

Start writing. The sooner the better.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
Member Hoda private msg quote post Address this user
@lunar_ranger
I start some of my Wordpress blog posts with an anecdote so I can combine business with a little personal get-to-know-me dialogue.

People love to comment on musings and stories, so it helps me draw their attention, then I launch into my topic with either a clever segue, or and 'ok now for....'

Cheers!
Hoda
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Hoda

This approach works well when you have a good following = people waiting for your post.

However, if you are still building your following online, a better approach is to reiterate in your opening lines what it is you promise to deliver in the body of the post.

It's simple technique, but it will improve you search engine results.

After the reiteration, you can get into the anecdote.
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Member Hoda private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew
Will use that technique! Thank you muchly!

H
Post 22 • IP   flag post
What is it they say...

1. Tell them what you are going to tell them.

2. Tell them.

3. Tell them what you told them.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
29398 23 23
destitute