BillBelew.com
Business AdviceTeaching

What Do Wish Someone Told You About Business942

jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Starting a new series this week for folks getting started in business - https://goo.gl/b84g7g

The goal is to make this series as practical (less theory and more action).

If you have an area of starting a business, getting started in business or entrepreneurship you'd like to share, contact me directly or book a time to chat - https://calendly.com/jycmba/
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
In 1973, long before the Internet, long before even personal computers, I opened my first brick and mortar business, a used book store. I offered a rare and collectible book search service. I didn't keep it long. Just a couple of years. It was hugely successful but I was young and had a lot of other things I wanted to do. So I sold it.

It was my early entry into the "information" business and I wish I had known then what I know now. I wish someone had told me the importance of information in the 21st. century.

Well, actually, they did. I read Future Shock at that time and later The Third Wave, but I guess I didn't listen.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Those were definitely books with amazing foresight - recently I came across Abundance.. awesome!

If information brought us into the 21st century, we're on the cusp of some amazing changes to come!
Post 3 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
I wish someone to tell me earlier that freelance is a business so that I can plan earlier and did not get overwhelmed.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@tienny,

I wrote a book about it some time ago.

Wiz's Guide To Successful Online Freelancing

I obviously failed to make it well enough known.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

It has been said that necessity is the mother of invention. Perhaps it is extremity that opens the door to breakthrough.

From the plains of Marathon to the pony express of the old west, we pushed the limits of message delivery to the extreme. The telegraph, the wireless, and the telephone were the resulting breakthroughs.

For all the wonders in today's information technologies, they are little more than extensions of the transistor -- and they are approaching their extremity. The door is opening.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
In reply to the title ... what do you wish someone had told you about business.

I wish someone had told me their telephone number and that i could call them anytime I had a question or just wanted to think out loud.

My first business was creating a language school in Japan in my 20s.

there was no one around me to help me, advise me, give me feedback. My dad who had created his own business was $2/minute phone calls away...not an option.

I was on my own. I managed but I struggled.

Move heaven and earth if you must but find a mentor or two that you can check in with is my best advice.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
25044 7 7
destitute