BillBelew.com
Business AdviceLinkedIn

How to Title a Podcast about Entrepreneurs960

Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there -

I don't often ask for help here on this forum, but was a last minute thing that came up.

Tomorrow I'm going to be interviewed for a M&A podcast. I want to post this story below on LinkedIn today ahead of time, just so the host has something to read and get a better idea of what I'll cover.

After you read this article, would you offer your ideas on possible titles?

Here's who the intended audience would be 1) business owners 2) other influencers for entrepreneurs 3) folks curious about selling businesses that may share this article

Okay, here goes..

“We want to get back into ministry work,” said Jerry. “That’s our calling.” His wife Kathy looked on. The question was clear in her eyes.

With that I knew that this was a business I could sell. Even though they had only been in business for a couple of years, I was more confident because of their story.

“I’m pretty sure we can get double what you’ve been trying to get yourselves,” I said.

Too often business owners make some of the same mistakes when trying to sell their own businesses. While they may be skilled at selling their product or service, owners were often in their own way when it came down to the most important sale of their lives.

Why Entrepreneurs Follow Their Bliss

Over the years I’ve had the pleasure of working with many entrepreneurs. They may have gotten into different businesses for different reasons. But the most successful always came down to two things - having passion in what they did and their yearning for freedom.

Someone once joked that entrepreneurs are folks willing to work eighty hours a week to avoid working forty for others. There’s probably some truth to this. I know because my early concerns were that I would have to work weekends.

Today I have no problem jumping on a Skype call at 2 am with a client in Australia going through a crisis or having a strategy session on a Sunday afternoon with a startup group. It’s funny how our perspectives change.

The Importance of Your Story

Simon Sinek talks about the importance of people buying your why before buying your what. When I think back to why different deals fell apart, it always came down to something wrong with the why of buyer and seller.

As an advisor, I can only go by what clients are willing to reveal. Sometimes it’s there in black and white like tax returns. Sometimes sellers swear up and down what the “truth” is. (Restaurants are notorious for money under the table because of the cash nature of their business.)

Entrepreneur’s Journey

One of my favorite quotes is that “artists use lies to tell the truth.” Each successful entrepreneur that I know goes through this transformation that Joseph Campbell calls “the hero’s journey.

Besides inspiring such popular Hollywood blockbusters like Star Wars or more recent hits like the Harry Potter or Hunger Games series,

Campbell understood that the reason why myths and legends have such appeal is that these stories tap into the universal truth - that each of us is on our own journeys in our lives.

Stories connect the why to the what of your business. When someone buys your story, they will be more willing to listen to everything else. At the same time if your why doesn’t match the what, then this is why things are likely to fall apart in due diligence.

One of These Things is Not Like the Other..

We often talk about “getting our story straight” when we want to hide something or “being creative with the numbers.” This isn’t the kind of storytelling that I’m talking about.

No, I’m talking about the opposite - complete alignment between what you’re sending out into the world and what your core purpose is.. your “why.” When this happens, you will not only attract the ideal buyer for your business. But you will achieve the ultimate win-win.

We closed the deal in record time with Jerry and Kathy. It was one of the smoothest due diligence periods that I’ve seen. To this day the new owner has gone on to grow the business to become even more successful.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
This article seems to go in quite a few directions.

Hard to pin down.

Who is in the audience? What do they want to learn?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
The intended audience would be

1) business owners

2) other influencers for entrepreneurs

3) folks curious about selling businesses that may share this article
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Actually, my article is for LinkedIn -

I wanted to publish it before my interview tomorrow which will air on an upcoming podcast Deal Talk

The host was asking me for some talking points, so I thought the best way to cover that was to write a short article.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Here's what I think I'm going to try.. "Sell Your Story Before Selling Your Business"
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@jycmba

This title has the word sell or a derivative twice in the same space.

Sell Your Story Before Marketing a Service to (Industry).
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Market Your Story then Sell Your Business ?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Tell your story to sell your business?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
Member rcayeras private msg quote post Address this user
Buy me!!! You know you want to.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
29144 9 9
destitute