BillBelew.com
AnalyticsFacebookSocial MediaTwitter

Organic vs Social vs Referral Traffic ...961

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
Where would you like to have traffic to your site come from?

Which source of traffic would give you the most bang for the buck?

Should you be aiming for organic, social or referral traffic?

Should you aim for all 3 of them?

You will decide which is best for your niche, your audience and where you feel most comfortable for sure. And if there was one right answer that was clearly better than all alternatives, well then, everybody would do it that one 'right' way, wouldn't they?

As for me ... organic traffic performs best.

Consider the following screen shot and compare bounce rate, number of pages viewed and time on site.

Organic search results in less bounces, more pages turned and almost 3 times as much time spent on the site.

Hmm....

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Teacher Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I am not sure why anyone would turn down or otherwise abandon any of these three general sources of traffic. I will gladly accept traffic from any of them.

I'm not sure that social and organic are mutually exclusive. While you can use social media to deliberately drive traffic, I suspect it can produce organic traffic as well.

I am quickly learning to utilize, and prefer, inbound marketing approaches which rely heavily on organic traffic and search is an important part of that.

From a conversion point of view I find that referral traffic generates what you call "the biggest bang for the buck".
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Indeed. All 3 are valuable.

And no doubt the presence of each contributes to the performance of the others.
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
What is referral traffic?
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@mcc

Just what it sounds like. Traffic from some other site.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Member tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. Thanks for this.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Member mcc private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you, very interesting.

So I guess referral traffic would be coming from other websites?
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Member lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
I see it this way (kinda a social consciousness/content placement vs. interaction sorta thing):

Referral traffic: It's a good indication that the site is penetrating the consciousness of other digital residents and nomads on their own turf.

Social traffic: Gives me the impression of how successful my social campaigning has been, general top-of-mind/top-of-brand awareness.

Organic traffic: I am with @Belew here 100%- this is the most important traffic source. Organic results are a holistic measure of the overall presence (awareness, penetration, and socialization) of your site. Organic traffic to ones site is a byproduct of a well executed on-line marketing strategy.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Organic traffic is also ... well, organic. I didn't have to 'work' for it.

Following that thread ... if my 'stuff' is being shared organically to social networks then that is also very effective.

And if people/sites are sending referrals to me without my asking ... good all around again.

They key is for your content to work for you ... not you/me work for my content.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Rev

I would turn away Social traffic if it required me to actively pursue a social presence in order to get that kind of traffic.

In other words if social traffic depended on me doing something in order to acquire it, the time spent may not be worth the return.

Same with referral. If I have to work to get my stuff on some other site, in order to get traffic to come back ... same as above.

Creating good stuff that gets found without any additional effort ... good all around.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Everything is inter-related. Everything can be a whole lot of nothing without smashing site content.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

Speaking of organic traffic and such ... are you still up for the keyword training hangout?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
@Belew I was thinking Monday evening. It would be nice to know what everyone's availability is BUT I can do this any time and leave the recording. I can create a thread for follow-up questions.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

My experience with webinars and hangouts that many/most people sign up to get the recording to view at their leisure.

Different time zones and such. Getting the recording and making it available is key.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@belew I use all three. I wish it to be more organic because social presence is important. I also make the mistake to use too much social networks to direct the traffic to my wordpress blog.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@tienny

Create more stuff at your site and more people will come.

BTW, I have a course coming up (more details later) that perhaps will help. Keep your eyes and ears open. 8-)
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks. Sure, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
29182 17 17
destitute