BillBelew.com
Content CreationFocusGenerate Content Ideas

Idea & information overloading964

tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone overloaded with ideas and information? How do you deal with it? I've been bombarded with information overloading and lack of time to work on my idea. Please share your suggestions. Thank you.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
mcc private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I knew! Feeling totally overwhelmed myself.

I've canceled all magazine subscriptions. I don't read my e-newsletters--I let them go straight to my folders. In theory, I check my favorite ones; in practice, I ignore them all.

I use unroll.me to deal with my email. I roll up email that I don't need to look at urgently -- such as from vendors, marketers, and announcements or newsletters or emails from people that I do want to keep track of but don't want to look at immediately. They all get rolled up into one message, I can then click on that and scan really quickly to see if there's anything I need to look at closely. In theory, I look at it every day; in practice, I often ignore that too. Every once in a while, I take a peek. I don't roll up important email, of course. Email from friends and family are never rolled up. This saves me a huge amount of time.

I categorize information I receive and put it in different gmail folders. To look at when I need. In theory, that is. In practice, I ignore it.

I'd love to hear any tips, tricks, and suggestions.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Belew private msg quote post Address this user
@mcc never heard of unroll me.

What is that?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
It's a free resource that you can "roll up" all your email subscriptions. Really saves time! To find out more, go to:

https://unroll.me/
Post 4 • IP   flag post
lunar_ranger private msg quote post Address this user
In regards to filtering e-communications.

Roll-up is kinda like starring, prioritizing, tagging, setting up filters and assigning rules in GMail- its nice way to take control of your in-box and a precious piece of your sanity. Roll- up seems like it would be quicker, though.

ALSO, I find that the "Unsubscribe" link to be very nice.

I think information overload is indicative of a bigger struggle: the inability to disconnect and temporarily (healthily) disconnect from the interworld to the physical, tangible world around us.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
Tashagabrielle private msg quote post Address this user
One trick that I personally use is to prioritize what has to get done versus what I want to get done because everything will eventually get checked off of the list, even if it may not be at that very moment. Sometimes you just have to take a break though, it helps put everything into perspective and avoids the headaches. I've had to do that a few times within the past month because I have a tendency to put too much on my plate at once.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle I am pretty horrible at saying 'no', there is power in that word!
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Tashagabrielle private msg quote post Address this user
I know the feeling but sometimes you have to put your personal wellbeing high on the priority list, otherwise you can get yourself sick (I speak from experience).

@Belew created a post about the four things on your to do list and this has helped me out a bunch and it may help you too
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger

I have since the beginning of the year been actively hitting the unsubscribe button.

I very very seldom give any one new my email address.

I see mostly only what I want to see. I read it right then, right there when I first see it, or I delete it.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@Tashagabrielle

It was @SunilBhaskaran who taught me that trick. He gets the credit.

I agree. It's a great tip.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
Another way unroll.me is good is that you can tell it to unsubscribe. Saves time because you don't have to open separate emails to get to newsletters or whatever that you want to unsubscribe. Just one click on unroll.me. Since I've started using it, my email inbox has become so much cleaner.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@mcc

I am becoming persuaded.

But unroll.me wants my email, too! Are they going to email me also?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I don't believe that I've ever gotten any emails from them. Maybe in the beginning just to set things up? I don't remember, but I do know that I get nothing from them except the one email a day with everything rolled up. Not a separate email from them.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@mcc

You are very persuasive. 8-)

They should give you an affiliate fee. 8-)
Post 14 • IP   flag post
unroll.me is magical. In 1 minute I unsubscribed to 74 lists.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@lunar_ranger seems you and @mcc have convinced me.

On my way there now.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
I wish! Somehow I'm always "selling" things that never make me a dime. But I botch everything else -- such as selling my services.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@mcc

We are going to change that.

I look forward to meeting you on Sunday... if that's what you decide to do.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
Sunday? Oh, right! Definitely can't this week. So much to do!
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@mcc

No hurries. You know where to find me. 8-)
Post 20 • IP   flag post
SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
To @mcc and everyone else who has the same issue "Somehow I'm always "selling" things that never make me a dime. But I botch everything else -- such as selling my services." and "So much to do!" :-)

I feel for you. I used to be there as well - struggling to figure out how to get better sales, better clients and more of the kind of lifestyle that I wanted when I left my corporate job. Bill Belew and I are very committed to teaching people how to really create solid results in your blogging / content marketing / business which may include your current services.. whilst not going crazy.

We have seen too many people struggling with daily informational distraction (DID) and tactics rather than having a solid strategy and plan that is concentrated and focused on branding you solidly with good traction and integrity in your business and content. How you spend your time daily (or not spend your time daily) adds up incrementally at first and then exponentially through the months and years to either breakthrough or burnout.

One of the things about the brain is that every time you shift from one project or task to another, your glucose levels literally drop. Over the day if you continually get distracted, you have lesser and lesser energy literally to produce real results.

So, it becomes imperative to learn how to generate a business realistically and with focused 'gas'.

This is what Bill and I intend to teach in our Step-by-Step Influencer Academy which we will start introducing this Saturday on our webinar: <= click to register

Be sure to opt in to the webinar. If you cannot make it this Saturday, still opt in and we will let you know about the next scheduled webinar next week.

Kindest regards,
Sunil Bhaskaran
Post 21 • IP   flag post
Thank you! I've signed up for the webinar. It sounds really good! I will make every effort to set time aside, this is a crazy week! I know space is limited, so I don't want to take away the seat from anyone.

So true about the brain!
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@mcc

If you can't make it, don't fret. By signing up you will be able to get the recording to listen to when you can...another thing to do in theory but not practice, eh?
Post 23 • IP   flag post
Oh yes, I love theories. But I will definitely listen to the recording if I can't make it live!
Post 24 • IP   flag post
SunilBhaskaran private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds good mcc.

Changing habits is tricky - but it can be done and when done, you will learn how to keep changing other habits in the future.

But change (or transformation) always begins with the sound decision to make that change and to be determined (committed) to do so.

People who make that change always says something to the effect "Making the change was easy... it was making the heartfelt, non-BS and determined decision to change that was the real hurdle".
Post 25 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
@mcc Thanks
Post 26 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilBhaskaran
Sounds good mcc.

Changing habits is tricky - but it can be done and when done, you will learn how to keep changing other habits in the future.

Making real changes is at the heart of Switch and what I've started calling Mastering the Dance between Elephant and Rider.

Here's my thoughts on dealing with information overload..

Post 27 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Is this elephant/rider a reference to Jonathan Haidt?
Post 28 • IP   flag post
jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
@Belew - y, although I learned about it through the Heath brothers in Switch.
Post 29 • IP   flag post
Thansk, @sunilbhaskaran, I like what you say about change. It is so true!

Thanks for the video, @jycmba, I'll watch it as soon as I get something straightened out with a merchant. One thing after another.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
27485 35 30
destitute