BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksInspirationMotivation

If You Were Going to Write a Book ...979

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
If you were going to write a book, what would it be about?

I have a couple of book ideas, both non-fiction that I am sitting on.

Writing a book is no easy task. Deciding on what to write about a making the commitment to do the work are both called for.

1. if you were going to write a book what would it be about?

2. What would it take to motivate you to start putting fingers to keyboard? Besides a hefty advance. 8-)
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
"A concise guide to the best golf courses in the southern hemisphere by a high handicap golfer" ...

Just need to find a sponsor who will fund my research for a few years ...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@Steve

Lemme know how that search works out for you. 8-)
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
I've already done that a couple of times and I have a few more in the works -- both fiction and non-fiction. Other seem to keep getting in the way or taking my attention, though.

An unexpected, forced shift in my situation, however, seems to have opened the door for me to get back to that kind of thing. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

For you, @Belew, I would be looking at how to re-purpose all that wonderful research you are doing and the many presentations you have done, and which are planned. I only wish I had that kind of material with which to work!
Post 4 • IP   flag post
cm_hazelwood private msg quote post Address this user
1) I am writing "My Piece of the Family History", a memoir of my life. The idea is to make a record of the things that happened as I was growing up, and as an adult, and show how God worked in my life.

2) Motivating factor is that I am out of a job now, and it gives me something to do.

Question: How do you get a hefty advance?
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

How to get a hefty advance?

Convince the right person that your story is worth writing/reading.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Hoda private msg quote post Address this user
Been working on mine for years.. it keeps evolving in unexpected ways.
Started as a story I made up and told to my many nephews and nieces when they were young, and now is a Tween story, a little fantasy, a little young romance.

Also have a allergen-free cookbook in the works.. or maybe it's large, glossy recipe cards.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
morrnel private msg quote post Address this user
An advance?

Write chapter one. Give it away.

Ask readers to sign on to a mailing list for chapter two and charge 99 cents. Most people will buy most anything for a buck.

Chapter 3, same charge a buck and a half.

Rinse, repeat with chapter 4 free.

When you are done, you know what it is worth.
And as Glinda told Dorothy, "it is best to start at the beginning"
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@morrnel I'll have to think about that.

One idea: I have read many biographies, and I was always interested in what their childhood was like. What made them be the way they were? What obstacles did they have to overcome?

Okay, now I know more about what I want to write, which is a good thing, anyway.

@Hoda Mine started as a family project when I was out of work, and we had a good time emailing back and forth. My nieces and nephews were always saying, "Write that down!"
Post 9 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood @morrnel @Hoda

I think Morris is on to something.

I worked with someone for a while and she gave away quite a few 1st chapters of her book but could NOT get anyone to buy the book.

Why do you think that is?

Maybe it's because the book was not any good ... or at least it wasn't a match for the people who were coming to the site to download it.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
A book is just another form of content. Marketing rules apply.

@morrnel

I believe Frank included the word "usually" in that statement, which suggests jumping into the middle of things isn't always bad.

My favorite on that subject, though, is Chuck's words, spoken by the King, in his wonderful work about... well, about so many things! "Begin at the beginning, the King said, very gravely, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

Knowing when to stop, especially in writing, can be as important as actually getting started.
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Rev

Who's Frank?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
My neighbor, Boni Steinke, who is a retired financial consultant, said perhaps put the book into a serialized format for a magazine. Then the deadlines would keep us writing.

I would still have to find a magazine (or blog) that would take it on.

I am discovering, if I didn't know it already, that writing is hard work! I have the idea, but it has to be kneaded, massaged, pushed and pounded the way you knead bread dough. Then you have to "let it rise", punch it down and shape it into loaves, er, chapters.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

create your own blog and do it on your own site.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Rev

This quote is very familiar, but I can't quite place it. Will you give the reference please?

"My favorite on that subject, though, is Chuck's words, spoken by the King, in his wonderful work about... well, about so many things! 'Begin at the beginning, the King said, very gravely, and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'"
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@Belew Will do, but I think I'm not quite ready yet. I need to do more polishing on one chapter at a time.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Post 16 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

You are ready.

Just hit publish and let your readers' feedback help you do the polishing.
Post 17 • IP   flag post
@Belew Thanks, that is good. Do you have a recommendation for a blog site?

I have to go now, but I will check back later this evening or tomorrow.
Post 18 • IP   flag post
@Belew, Frank Baum, author of Wizard of Oz.

@Rev, Very important one word.
Post 19 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood
There are so many 80/20, 90/10 rules.

Nobody ever asked me if I polished my shoes twice. Publish!
Post 20 • IP   flag post
@Belew

You be Frank. I'll be Ernest. Together we can be frank and ernest!
Post 21 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

That would be the Rev. Charles Dodgson (Chuck), writing as Lewis Carroll, in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Post 22 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

In response to your question to @Belew there are several choices for blogging. The three top 3rd-party solutions are probably WordPress, Blogger, and LiveJournal. My picks. My order. Some might well disagree. I wouldn't want to have to live on the difference.

Of the three, WordPress would be my choice simply because it is exceedingly easy to move content to a stand-alone WordPress CMS website later.

Your best choice is likely to bite the bullet and establish your own website right at the get go. Get your own domain name -- think that through carefully. They are not expensive, and changing is easy, but changing later might turn out to be very costly for other reasons than price or ease of process.

Get good hosting. There are lots of choices with competitive prices and tons of avid cheerleaders. Shared hosting is where most people start. Bluehost and Hostgator (now owned by the same company) are popular picks. My personal choice and recommendation is In Motion Hosting (that's an affiliate link) based on my previous experience with a dozen or more providers, including both BH and HG, and having run my own Internet Service Provider (ISP) and web hosting companies in the past.

Then install the stand-alone CMS version of WordPress and create a foundational website, build your brand, and blog, blog, blog -- and if you have any time left over, consider blogging. Oh, and you might also want to blog.

When I build client sites I find WordPress to be the easiest for them to use, the easiest for me to train them on, the best for SEO right out of the box, the easiest for the client to do their own SEO, and the easiest for me to apply professional SEO. Design possibilities are endless and visitors generally like the experience.

That translates to easier, cheaper, and more effective.
Post 23 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood @Rev will not steer you wrong.

Me? Maybe. 8-)

You? He won't.
Post 24 • IP   flag post
Ah, Bill, I respect you too much to try to steer you at all -- except maybe out of harm's way. I just share what I think, know, and believe. What you do with it is up to you. No promises. No guarantees. No refunds.
Post 25 • IP   flag post
@Rev I copied and pasted the information into a document so I can review. Thank you.
Post 26 • IP   flag post
I just publishd my first article on LinkedIn, with a link to facebook!
Post 27 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
@cm_hazelwood congratulations
Post 28 • IP   flag post
@cm_hazelwood

How about a link here to there?
Post 29 • IP   flag post
@Belew Ok. Here's the link. It's just a small article, my toe in the water.

Go to the Park? Or Write an Article?

After I thought about it, I decided to use what is available to me to begin with, and if it grows to the point where it seems appropriate, then I will do a website of my own.

Also, the purpose of my memoir book has changed. I think for now it is just for family history. I have ideas I want to write about that are not necessarily family history, that may be more encouraging for others.
Post 30 • IP   flag post
26104 31 30
destitute