BillBelew.com
Belew SpeaksCareer AdviceFeedbackInspirationMotivation

What's the biggest challenge you face?980

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
You get it.

Making the leap to working online is really want you want. The lifestyle that comes with it is desirable.

The appeal is there. You really want t but...

What gets in your way?

What makes you procrastinate?

What's the biggest challenge you face to making it happen? What do you fear?

What's keeping you from making working online happen for you?
Post 1 • IP   flag post
nicosuccess private msg quote post Address this user
Working by day and building my business at night has two challenges for me.

- Not enough time in a day (nope i dont watch tv and sleep is down to an avg of 5 hours per night)
- Scared sh@tless to quit my day job (my "safe" income) and pursuing my business fulltime
Post 2 • IP   flag post
@nicosuccess

Thanks for this honest response.

It's 'easier' to find time than it is to find guarantees.

Besides the typical sleep less and other time-saving fufu ideas, learning where to prioritize your efforts and knowing when it makes sense and is affordable to outsource efforts as opposed to going it alone can really help.

Guarantees for success just aren't there. But it would be helpful to know, say in 6 months and some expense that an idea has merit or doesn't as opposed to spending 18-24 months and considerable expense to find out an idea isn't going to fly.

Would you agree?
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@nicosuccess

You got me to thinking more about this.

It occurred to me that a couple of ways that might contribute to a more likelihood of success is:

1. piggy back on someone else's success. If somebody has created something that is already successful, but they have discovered an additional need for Widget A that you can provide and they will introduce you as soon as it's ready, then success might follow.

2. team up with other like-minded, albeit in different niches, entrepreneurs and the like who are doing the same thing at the same level or time as you. Camaraderie and accountability will contribute to success.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@nicosuccess

Keep your day job until your business income equals your paycheck. Then keep working it for six months more but bank your paycheck and live on your business income. Then decide if it's working well enough to quit. If you do, you will have a six month emergency buffer on hand.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev @nicosuccess

I think I disagree on this point.

Quit your day job. Feel the desperation. Make it work no matter what.

I asked my piano playing son what he'd do if he didn't play the piano. He didn't think very hard. He just said, "What would I do?"

He's hungry ... but he's making it work. No plan B.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
In the early days, when I was first starting in my own business, the biggest problem was friends and family not taking me seriously. They didn't think of what I was doing as "work" or a "job" and so they would drop by, or call, when they were free and expect me to give them my time. It took me a while to learn to say, "Sorry, I can't!" or "Not right now!" or "Maybe later!"

It caused me to lose a few friends, who never did understand, but those that stayed learned to respect my work and some even came to me later to find out how they could do it too.

In business for yourself, time is your biggest asset, your worst enemy, and your best friend. Learn to respect it and gether those around you who understand. Whatever else you want to do comes easier.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
You mean that since you @Rev don't really work for a living, I can drop by anytime and ask you to work, um not really work for me? Gee!
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

In the early days I might have actually sat and spent the day with you, letting the conversation meander any which way it chose.

These days I am more likely to give you five minutes to evaluate what you bring. If I don't see it being useful, going anywhere, and being a good "fit", I am likely to say something like, "Great to see you, Bill, thanks for dropping by; I really do have some work to get back to," as I guide you to the door.

If I'm not working, you can have as much of my time as you can keep my attention. Here in Kansas we could go out cow tipping...
Post 9 • IP   flag post
tienny private msg quote post Address this user
Financial constraint is the cause and strangely I tend to do others' tasks first. In the end, my own tasks are left behind.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
27629 10 10
destitute