BillBelew.com
AnalyticsBloggingContent MarketingInfographics

How Do Marketers Ask Bloggers to Prove Value982

Belew private msg quote post Address this user
There are 3 large criteria that marketers ask bloggers to validate when considering to tap into a bloggers influence.

Page Views - is anybody coming and turning your pages?
Social Shares - is your stuff worth passing around?
Comments - do people care or not care about what you say?

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
Is the left hand scale the percent of marketers who ask this of bloggers? Or percent of bloggers responding to the importance of the four criteria? Or...?

What is the real value of each of these areas? The graph makes it seem that page views are most important. Perhaps they only represent the larger response in whatever the sample groups was asked.

It's is possible -- even likely -- that some small item lost in the "other" category is actually most, indeed critically, important.

What does this graphic actually provide for our use?
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
I think bounce rates should be included ... people hitting a website and then moving off elsewhere because the content is not relevant to them ... still give a page view but if this bounce rate is 80% that means those page views are useless .

Plus what @Rev said
Post 3 • IP   flag post
@Steve @Rev

And what about time on site?

This graph says simply that this is what marketers are asking for from bloggers. Not what they SHOULD be asking for.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
@Belew

When one dumb-ass group asks another dumb-ass group for their "opinion" and then posts it in a graphic as if it is "fact" we end up with a lot of informational tripe.

For statistics, graphs, numbers, to have any relevance at all we must be clear on the source, clear on the method, and clear on the presentation. The above graph is none of those things -- which was my point.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev The source is at the bottom - GroupHigh.

"To find out, GroupHigh recently surveyed 4,000 bloggers who are regularly being approached by brands and agencies..."
Post 6 • IP   flag post
@Belew

I misspoke... that graphic has one of those things. But what does "surveyed 4,000 bloggers who are regularly being approached by brands and agencies" mean?

If I ask you, "Which do you see more, infographics, videos, or reports?" and you say, circle, or tick the box beside one of them, that is (or could be) a statistically valid recorded answer for a survey.

You responded with your opinion. It may very well be what you believe to be true. But is it accurate? Have you been keeping count or otherwise tracking the relationship, let alone the number? Or is it just what you think, or "remember", in the moment. Would you think the same thing upon greater reflection? Will you think the same thing tomorrow, with no change in your experience or reflection upon your thoughts today?

So what, really, is the value of "survey" research? A lot less than most people give it credit for, I suspect.

But when it is badly presented, as I feel the graphic above demonstrates, it is even of less value -- except perhaps to provide an exciting visual to otherwise bland content in the service of many people who can't read graphs anyway.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@Rev

They now have graph reading classes being offered in college.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew

That's sad. Really.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
27485 9 9
destitute