BillBelew.com
Content CreationInfographicsSocial Media

UGC Inspires More Trust than Other Media983

Forum Owner Belew private msg quote post Address this user
User generated content inspires more trust than other types of media. Unless it is created by Reddit users perhaps.

This infographic deals with the travel industry in particular. But it also gives insight in to the power of user generated content.

Post 1 • IP   flag post
Top Contributor Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an short article I wrote on UGC ...

Content Marketing Strategy: Creating User Generated Content

User generated content seems to be one of the most recent buzz phrases to have gained popularity, it speaks of users creating content. Imagine having a website that becomes extremely popular, due to user generated content and all without you the owner, having to put in too much work to create this great content.

But what is a user generated content exactly? How does it work? How can you encourage user generated content? Let’s have a closer look, shall we?

What Is User Generated Content?

User generated content is content created by base users and not by the owners of the website.

YouTube, Wikipedia and even LinkedIn (especially since they introduced Long Form Publishing) are high profile examples of user generated content in action. YouTube staff don’t spend time creating videos, instead, they make sure that content creation is easy for their audience and that the platform works seamlessly.

Other people make the content, YouTube, Wikipedia, LinkedIn, etc., all benefit from this user generated content.

Blog comments and discussion forums are the lower profile examples of user generated content, and in a similar fashion, the website owner doesn’t create the content but still benefits from it.

Sound awesome, right? How can you encourage your audience to create more content?

Give Them the Space to Do Something They Want to Do

Creating the desire and motivation to actually do it, can be extremely hard. Making someone want to do something that they don’t naturally want to do, is extremely hard. But then again, giving people the opportunity to elaborate on things that they want to talk about is a sure way to accumulating lots of user generated content.

To demonstrate this, let’s look at YouTube once again. YouTube does not create the desire for its users to share their videos. What they have however created is a platform where users can produce their own videos. After they produce their videos they naturally want to share them with their friends, and if they come across a great video they want to share that also.

This means that you should think about what your users want to talk about but are not able to, at the moment. You solve this problem and create the platform and they will do the rest.

Make Your Audience Feel Like They’re Part of Something Special

Content generation can also be inspired by the sense of belonging to a community and having one goal. In a discussion forum, people have that feeling of wanting to be of help to one another. This makes people want to post their stories, inspire other people or help them out when questions and advice is sought. But there are forums where a lack of community and animosity exists, and these end up driving audiences away.

Wikipedia does a great job of making people that contribute feel special. People feel great becoming a part of a much larger purpose. This makes them feel that their time is put to good use when they add information to Wikipedia.

It’s Fun

Everything that is done without pressure is fun and people like to do things that are fun. So don’t put pressure on users to create content, it’s best if it comes naturally.

Take Gmail for example. When they wanted users to create videos for them, they put up a contest giving all the descriptions of what they want to see in the video. Since it doesn’t sound like work, lots of entries were submitted and they were able to choose one outstanding video that they can use at the end of the day.

Take some time to figure out how you can create user generated content, its more work for you at the start getting things right but lots less work for you once your audience get involved and it’s more fun for them too.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
Member jycmba private msg quote post Address this user
Thought this was an interesting clip..

Post 3 • IP   flag post
@jycmba And the world's largest resource library has no books... Google.

Nor does the world's largest encyclopedia ... Wikipedia.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Here's some interesting stats..

Octoly.com have tracked and measured “user generated content” (often termed “UGC”) on YouTube around and about brands. The numbers are a revelation.

95% of the views on YouTube about “Call of Duty” were not created or owned by the brand but created by users. 95% of the 9.3 billion in total views were earned. That’s 8.84 billion views just from fan created and shared content.
99% of the views about “Lego” are user created. Of the 8 billion in total views 7.92 billion views just from passionate advocates who created and shared content about the Lego brand.
99% of the views on YouTube about Apple were not bought or “owned” by the brand. 99% of the 4.2 billion in total views were fan created. That’s 4.16 billion views just from fan created and shared content.

This infographic amplifies this..

Read more at http://www.jeffbullas.com/2013/11/20/the-often-forgotten-tribe-of-marketers-who-amplify-your-brand/#kVcuYFs85t2hw6ly.99
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

These stats fascinate me for so many reasons.

I am quite close to going to Beijing to consult with a major multi national brand on this very topic. They will be very interested to know the kind of reach that can be gotten via video from their users.

Thanks for sharing this.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
Looks like a new platform based on 1000 True Fans that's meant to be user generated by artists and creatives..

http://bit.ly/drip-medium
Post 7 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

Just how hard is it to really get 1000 true fans?

How many people out of those who have tried really have 1000 true fans?

This is no small task.

I'd like to see studies on just what it takes to get that kind of following.

How much money, time, effort was expended?
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Belew - Have you read the article? Kevin Kelly breaks it down..
Post 9 • IP   flag post
"One thousand is a feasible number. You could count to 1,000. If you added one fan a day, it would take only three years. True Fanship is doable."

I'd dispute the fact that it is possible to add one true fan/day who will give you $100/month.

Can't be done... at least not by very many... and by a very small % when you calculate the number who wish they could.

The theory is good... the implementation, exceedingly difficult.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I guess my audience is mostly creative entrepreneurs - whether they be artists, musicians or even niche craft producers - that tend to believe that you have to be either a Madonna rockstar or starving artist.

Here you have the math broken down on how little it takes to make a sustainable living.

People didn't just believe the four minute mile was hard. They thought it was impossible.

Then within a year someone else broke it.. then 3 more.. then..
Post 11 • IP   flag post
I'd love to have 1000 true fans who would be willing to pay $100/month...or even $10/month.

Not easy. Not impossible. But definitely not easy.
Post 12 • IP   flag post
Okay, let's start with 1000 fans @ $10 a month = $10k/mo = $120k per year.

I'd be happy with that.

Even with 10% dropping out for various reasons, that's still over $100k - not too shabby.

First, can you deliver something that folks would consider worth $10 a month?

Let's say that you create a forum that folks feel that they're not only learning a lot but that it actually leads to growing their online businesses and makes actual money vs. all the scams out there..

Is it possible that this is worth $10 to at least 1000 people?

I'd argue that some people would actually question why it's so cheap!

Let's say you threw in one-on-one coaching, and formed tight masterminds - groups of 4 or 5 where individuals bring in their businesses each week and have the others offer ideas and talked about challenges.

Now would THAT be worth $10 a month?

For the right people yes - for others maybe. They may just not be ready yet - either not serious enough or still have other distractions.

You could have different price structures and the average "per month" goes up. Then you don't even need 1000 fans - you can actually have less and meet your goals / needs.

I like what you and @Sunil are doing. There are a lot of possible directions once you have the right folks raise their hands. Mastermind groups are just one, IMHO.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@jycmba

I am completely with you on the numbers.

But getting 1000 people is hard.

How many churches are there in the US, for example who have been at it for decades and still can't get 1000 people, much less get 1000 people to donate $10/month.

I want it to work.

Thanks for the kind words about Sunil and me. We are going to make something work there one way or the other.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Belew - again, the point of "1000" True Fans isn't the actually number.

It's to show that you don't have to have millions of fans.

$10 is actually too low for a lot of audiences, but I have a friend who sells $20 memberships for multi-passionates and does quite well.

You can have 1000 fans at $10 each or 500 fans at $20 or 200 fans at $50 to get the same results.

Plus, even getting 100 fans at $20 is still pretty decent in my book, just for side income - with some more "upscale" clients willing to work closer and pay more, say, $100 for 5-6 months. And we're still not anywhere near the Steve Olsher or Christian Mickelson levels yet.

The key to me is offering what people are telling you they want. I'm slowly building an audience and starting individual conversations.

Like those owners who told me they wanted to pay me $1000 plus for valuations of their businesses, when the time is right, I'll provide what folks ask me.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
29714 15 15
destitute