BillBelew.com
WordPress

How to provide snippets on blog index page?985

labellecleo private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I was wondering if there's a plug-in that does a good job at listing the blog content in a summary former with the 'more' button?

Thanks.
Post 1 • IP   flag post
Steve private msg quote post Address this user
Could always use your RSS feed ...
my feed is set to show the last 6 blog posts and an excerpt...

Not sure about plugins...
Post 2 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
where do you want to display these excerpts? on your website? other?
if on your website, then that's most likely an existing option within your theme. Check with your theme developer for help.

D
Post 3 • IP   flag post
Yes, it's on the website which is enabled with wp plug-in. I have checked into the settings and it seems that I might indeed need to contact the theme developer. Thanks for the suggestions.
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Rev private msg quote post Address this user
@labellecleo

WordPress comes with this feature standard. Unless the theme you are using has been designed to suppress this, it should just be a setting.

Post your site URL and I'll have a quick look. I may be able to tell you what you need from the outside.
Post 5 • IP   flag post
@Rev

That's where I am puzzled. I already checked 'summary' in the settings. I suspect there is some kind of override somewhere in the theme.

Thanks!
Post 6 • IP   flag post
dono2081 private msg quote post Address this user
Any custom fields call excerpt, or similar? Try adding some test text.

Also, you're certain you're looking at a wordpress generated cat page, yes?
D
Post 7 • IP   flag post
http://www.lovablecub.com/feed/

It's there ...
Post 8 • IP   flag post
@Steve. But it's not doing anything on the website. ..
Post 9 • IP   flag post
You should have a RSS Widget ... if not install a plugin ...

https://wordpress.org/plugins/rss-news-display/

I've not checked that plugin out, just took a minute to find ... I imagine there are lots of them out there.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
I believe that I have that plug-in somewhere, it's not installed on the page. I wasn't sure how to use it. :-/
Post 11 • IP   flag post
@Steve

I do have the widget and I am in the process of installing it. Sorry for the novice questions:

It's asking me for a URL, should it be the url of my post page?
Post 12 • IP   flag post
I've not used the plugin but as a guess... suggest you enter the one I mentioned with /feed/ at the end ... it is likely asking for the URL of the RSS Feed.
Post 13 • IP   flag post
@labellecleo

If your theme is forcing the full post try adding the "more" tag after the first paragraph of text and see if that overrides it.
Post 14 • IP   flag post
@Rev

So, yes I did that and it overrides it. What a silly thing to add to a theme! Anyhow, just how important are the snippets? Just wondering. Initially I wanted them for better viewing.
Post 15 • IP   flag post
@labellecleo

There is a lot of misinformation and bad practice at all levels, and in all disciplines, on the Internet. The WordPress arena is no exception.

Bad themes and bad theme coding/functionality is not uncommon.

Having "snippets" or "blurbs" instead of full posts on the main blog page is practical for your viewers -- they can more easily skim to find what they are interested in. Consider this in writing your posts. Draft compelling first paragraphs and don't bury the lead.

Additionally it may be better for search optimization.

For me, not having flexibility or choice when it comes to this element in a theme would be immediate grounds for getting a different theme. What is it about your current theme, flat-responsive, that ties you to it, and are you sure it doesn't have this setting internally?
Post 16 • IP   flag post
26117 16 16
destitute